Doesn't anyone answer their radio any more?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Miles Ohio, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Miles Ohio

Miles Ohio Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    A number of times I have wanted to tell another driver about something he would have wanted to know and tried paging them on 19 with no answer. The latest one was just a couple of weeks ago, leaving Chicago and getting on I-65 headed towards Indy.

A Knight truck passed me in the hammer lane headed south. Something looked funny...

Me: "Southbound Knight, you got it on?"

Silence.

Try again.. "Southbound Knight, you got your radio on?"

Silence.

Me: "Knight, if you can hear me, looks like someone played a prank on you and flipped up the Radioactive placard on the rear of your trailer. I'm guessing it was a joke because your side placard wasn't also set. Might want to fix that before you pass the coop that's coming up."

Silence.

I figured his radio was off (or he didn't have one) and kept on driving. About two minutes later I pass him.. he's on the shoulder with his 4-ways on, changing his rear placard back to blank.

I waited a minute for him to get back in his truck.

Me: "You're welcome, Knight!"

Silence.

Does nobody answer any more when someone asks them directly if they have their radio on? Are they just assuming they are going to get chewed out for something? Just seems discourteous when you are only trying to help them out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmmm.... Sometimes I answer and I don't get another response. Sometimes my response didn't go through.

4. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I try to keep mine on but sometimes turn the volume way down when drivers start yacking about nothing. Then I forget to turn the volume back up. But a couple of weeks ago a driver let me know I had a low tire for. That saved me a road call so it can be helpful.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  6. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I listen to my radio all the time. I sing along with it, yell at it if talk radio is on, curse at it when it keeps dropping the signal, but I never really talk back or answer it.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  7. FL450

FL450 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Seems like I'm not on too many major interstates so maybe I don't know but I leave my radio on and sometimes it so quiet I wonder if it's working. Then I get into a major TA or Loves and somebody is always saying something so at least I know it works.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hollering at the cb to a mega. Is useless. I doubt any one of them actually have a cb in their truck.

I don't bother with megas anymore.

You also gotta realize, that if they have to slipseat. You wants as little as possible to be packing from truck to truck. You WON'T want to screw around with mount and dismounting and wiring a cb.

LGarrison and Western flyer Thank this.
  9. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    These newbreed have no use for a CB, I've been told that a million times and have read it on this website as often. There seems to be fewer drivers out here that use them. To busy playing on there cell phone.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Or playing pocket pool and sniffing their fingers.

11. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Pull up next to him and hold out your mic, letting him know he needs
    to turn his radio on. I have done that several times over the years. Once
    when a bracket broke under his trailer and his air lines were dragging
    on the road.......numerous times for lose chains, freight ready to fall
    off the trailer........

Now I drive a 65mph company pos so I can't do that any more......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.