dogs- big or small? that is the real question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PChariot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PChariot

PChariot Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hello, I am thinking about getting a dog, what kind would be good for this kind OTR life style? I love would love a big dog but have been told that small is the way to go. I was thinking border terrier, toy fox terrier, miniature schnauzer, or a pug. What do you think would be the best for this life style, and if you have a dog tell me the breed and how he behaves, and do you think big or small is really an issue (when it comes to dogs) ha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some companies have a weight limit on dogs.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Pugs are known to have breathing issues; diesel may not be conducive. Beagles bark, Terriers jump, .... um... Schnauzers shed.

My advice would be to get your CDL and get in with a company that DOES allow pets; you'd be suprised if and how they may "bend" the 35# rule... if you perform after being hired. No pets from the get-go, anyway....so why adopt one now, only to leave him/her for 4 months?!?

Just saying....

5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Not undermining ya, bro! too much coffee, off to work! LoL~ You always got it, man....!

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  6. PChariot

PChariot Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Schnauzers do not shed and if so they barley do (owned one). Terriers do jump, but ive owned one and know their temperament. Beagles are goofy and loud, yes, that does not bother me (ive owned one). Pugs are the only one that I have not owned and I can see where the breathing issue can be a quite literal issue.
    And im not going to jump in and get a dog, i am going to of course wait a bit for getting one, but I just wanted to see what everyone things would be the best. All dogs bark, all dogs can jump, all dogs have some cork.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Mine doesn't bark. He has only barked one time in three years that I know of.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  8. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    If you get a pug get something to help clean the air in the truck...cant think of the name of the darn things...but they have enough breathing issues

9. PChariot

PChariot Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    An air purifier, and yes, I dont know if id get a pug due to the health issues (breathing etc) live in the south and get 100degree or more.

wore out and BigTennOTR Thank this.
  10. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    I want a dog as well....but i barely stop long enough to sleep more less let a dog out

Suspect Zero and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You also should drive with a company that has APU. That would be healthy for the dog when you're shut down for breaks, etc.
    Google : "10 dogs that don't shed"
    Of course, all dogs shed, but some less than others.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.