Doing both Yard Truck and Day Cab?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by VIDEODROME, May 19, 2018.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Last Fall, I switched from OTR / Regional to a local 2nd Shift Yard Spotting job. My company has me move trailers for 2 of our customers. Recently, I'm hearing there may be cut backs at the second customer on time that I work for them because of a lower volume of our trailers going there.

I'm thinking that if my night shift gets shorter, when I'm done I could ask if any Day Cabs or even Sleeper Trucks are available to borrow to do any available short runs. I live by our terminal in Marinette, WI and I could see fitting in short shuttles to Green Bay, WI.

As for logging, I guess I should technically have to go back to the start of my Yard Truck shift and start logging Line 4 work to count against my 14 as I am working. Maybe I'd have to talk to someone about retroactively editing a log this way? Or just have access to an E-Log anywhere at the start of my shift to begin my day on the clock?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    When you clock in, and not driving, it is on duty not driving and counts against your 14.

So if you worked a full 8 plus lunch, you have 8.5 hours into your 14. Leaving you 5.5 hours left.

VIDEODROME and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Bank_Lbr

Bank_Lbr Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Marinette to Green Bay is less than 100 Air Miles. You're exempt.

VIDEODROME and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I spent some time up in Buffalo NY where there is a brass foundry. After loading my reefer with brass material to Lonoke Arkansas Remington Arms at 65 degrees to make into small arms ammunition of all kinds... Im told to spend two or three days and nights playing yard jockey up there in the Buffalo yard of that shipper.

here I am with a huge condo FLD 120 rocking and swaying as I do yard jockey work with our trailers. Grab empties from the corner of lot, dock em. When green lights take the loads and line em opposite corner. Go back grab another empty. Round and round she goes. Have your particular load going to Lonoke stashed out of the way so you hook onto it and go when another company tractor and his driver shows up to relieve you and do some yard jockeying on his own.

To this day I do not understand the logic of my company having us do that kind of dainty trailer work with huge OTR sleeper trucks. But we did it. Because the dispatcher asked us nicely.

Lonoke Remington Arms is a really good Customer. And a valued one at that. Just one problem that metal fluted floor in the bottom of the great dane reefer sometimes has to go to the shop and pulled up and thrown away when too many holes punched into it. What a waste. But that brass material has to be at 65 degrees in winter. *Shrugs.

Oh by the way. That work as a yard jockey? Off duty for several days in the paper logs to build up hours. Payroll shows something like 10 a hour for a bunch of hours. But not too many.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Only if the day is 12 hours or less also....

brian991219 and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.