Dollar General or Family Dollar?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sock wearer, Sep 14, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

When God discovered that Man has built a Dollar Store in Eden he enternally ###### Mankind for such a waste of effort.

If you ever go inside a dollar store of any kind, peek inside the side storage dock area. You will find a entire truckload in a mound all the way to the ceiling. And you are supposed to inventory, price and shelf that for customers? NO WAY.

Just getting into any store of that type off street will break your truck, break you or break at least one car who are more than pleased to tell your company Pay me and sue you later in civil court for more since you are a rich productive trucker making 100K a year. Pay them.

What I am trying to say here is run far away from anything with Dollar on it as a trucking account. FLEE.

Thats why Recruiters like to catch fresh fish in school who are bright eyed and bushy tailed to work a 100K annual pay job taking home 20K on this account anywhere. You would also weep if you find out what you will have to do to back a big rig across a major divided road into a parking lot flowing with cars and people to hit aiming at a side dock not made for trailer trucks blind side.

FLEE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I don't know if one is better than the other but as you can see from the posts they can be a real PITA and have got a lot of new drivers into hot water.

So you've been warned. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, nor does it mean you'll mess up, hit stuff get fired and never find another job.

If just means your learning curve for dealing with a certain kind of pressure will be a bit steeper than some. When you get to one of these places and there are cars parked in the way, and you're getting in the way of cars trying to get around and it seems like it's taking forever to get backed in is when many lose their cool and try to rush it.

Don't do that. Don't ever rush it. If you start to feel rushed stop. And don't trust anyone to guide you. Make sure you're clear on all sides and above.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And when you see 10 people pull out cell cameras aiming in your direction, STOP instantly. You are about to become the next reviled You tube star who epic ally screwed up by running over a baby carriage or something.

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    And God said to man, search the four corners of earth for a good woman, then he made the earth round and has been laughing since then. Sorry had to deal with a door knocker trying to save me.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Depending on where the driver is located, they may require a delivery early in the morning or have them take a pup trailer there. I've been seeing more of those Dollar General and Family Dollar pups more and more

x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. icecold24k

icecold24k Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Tullahoma, Tennessee
    I feel like they should all be delivered with pups. 95% of these locations are absolutely terrible. A big truck has no business whatsoever delivering to these places IMHO.

G13Tomcat, tscottme, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    I know of one, literally ONE, on Haddon ave in Camden NJ. And like the other poster said, it’s a blind side, down a crappy one way street.

I suppose your area is similar to mine, one here and there. Definitely agree with you.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Definitely few and far between, but here’s one that does.

24992031-C892-417E-A54C-058CB8E051D5.jpeg

10. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    That one would not even be bad to get into. They should all be like that.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    If I had to pick, Dollar General would probably be a bit easier. My dedicated job picks up at locations often next to those Dollar stores.

Its not THAT bad. You just need to go slow and not be lazy about getting out and looking. Yes lots and lots of tight areas. After a few months if you havent hit anything it makes you a good driver compared to other new drivers. Youll be able to look at a tight squeeze and drive through without worrying too much.

Lots of shopping plazas, driving behind them and wiggling through dumpsters, other trucks, and stuff like that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.