Dometic “Cool Cat” as an apu... with a generator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, Dec 11, 2018.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Dometic COOL CAT | Dometic

Found this today while exploring different options. I tried the split a/c, it was good but didn’t work for me. Tried a big 12,000 btu home a/c, cut a big hole out. It did good, until i couldn’t keep the rainwater from coming in. (Did all sorts of stuff between flashing, tarps and caulk). I’m getting that sealed back up now with aluminum siding.

So anyways... this dometic cool cat looks a lot like the inside part of a tripac/carrier... there’s not alot on youtube about it but it looks like a pretty good deal if you already have a generator set up. Anybody got any experience or know about these? I was looking into the carrier apu but my body shop in town says they do rooftop a/c’s all the time no problem but I’m kind of hesitant after my last apu project. But I saw this cool cat while on Dometic website. For the unit and install kit I think it’s around $1500

I think the carrier apu push’s 13.5k btu and the dometic here would push 10.5k btu. The application would be a mid roof Volvo. Wonder if that will be enough. I like the idea of this one because I could intall it under the bunk, get power from the generator, and run ducts to the sleeper vents or straight pass-thru the floor wall under the bed. Kind of like a normal apu install.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    NEVERMIND... after more research it looks like this thing has to be vented and it’s pretty big. Even with it under the bed, it looks like I would dang near need to remove the outer cubby door to vent it. Kind of like what the Crete and Schaffer trucks were doing at one time with their setup

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    When you add everything up it might be the same as a used tripak

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  5. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    yeah, forgot to say... not interested in the tripac unless it was given to me for free or close to free. Definitely not a used one. Now a carrier, maybe. But those are about $6500 used, installed at apu center, and the new ones are 10.5k$ installed. So if so I’d rather go new.

Now I already got a Honda 3000, mounted in a nice box already. So even for 2k$ For the a/c side, it’s way more economic to do that vs an apu... Because What is an apu? Besides the diesel motor part, it’s a generator, an inside unit with a blower & heater, a condenser, and a control thermostat.

So if you have a generator, it’s not much difference in my book. Idk, I plan on talking to the RV shop and see what they think. Since they know more about all the different options on the market.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    2 6” holes in the floor. Boom done! FA7CC875-7A8D-472E-A1BF-9D5630E41246.jpeg

On the hottest of hot days it won’t quit keep up so I just idle, maybe 10 days a year? Tops

whoopNride and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  7. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yea I’ve seen yours, been deeply considering your set up as well. Only thing is i have a huge fridge already taking up real estate, I would have to lose my other shelving, but.

You know what, my body shop is really convincing me on a roof top ac. They’ve done plenty installs with no issue.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If you got a mid roof that’s a good choice.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia

So why the carrier over the TK? I had a carrier and it was problem after problem. The Gen section is only good for 2 years and it's done and it's not great power and the carrier is loud? Also, ac on mine was lackluster at best. I have a friend with a TK and it's been amazingly reliable for him, on ac issues, I think a condenser, and he up graded his inverter to a larger true sine wave unit. It is old now and has north of 15k hours on it. Runs like a champ. I got to 6k hours on mine and stopped fixing it. Luckily it burnt with the truck

10. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Well your story in reverse was true for me. Had a tripac, and the experience wasn’t that great.

1) parts were way more expensive compared to carrier, and more expensive in general. Like a basic fuel pump that’s around $40, is $180 after thermoking puts their logo on it. I remember everything being so expensive on it. One time down in San Diego, we ended up paying about $750 for an alternator job. Probably $400 for the part. A/c compressor job was about the same. Then you get the alternator, and they might last you 3 years, might last 6 months. Part is warranty, service is not.

2) carrier continues to design their units more user friendly, so the owner can service his own belts, alternators, and etc. Even though I did my own oil changes, TK was not much user friendly for repairs.
    3) I’m not sure of the performance of the carrier. Though my friend has one and he’s impressed; the TK just really didn’t cool the truck down in those hottest days, and the bunk heater was so hit and miss. Either would burn you up or not come back on all night.

I’m sure both units could be a dump or an asset, a lot probably depends on being the owner since day 1. So you could take care of it from the beginning. Getting a used apu from a fleet return? Could spell unsatisfactory results from either brand I guess. My TK was pretty good but not again. I see the two like buying a Lexus or a Toyota. Everything costs more on the Lexus for not much more luxury if any over the Toyota.

My thing is, I think the carrier has a simpler design, with more accessible parts, with more competitively priced parts, with a more practical design geared towards more ease of serviceability.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.