Don't be afraid to ask for assistance

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gunner75, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I don't claim to be experianced like most of you guys, but in this instance I figured I'd offer up a real world issue that doesn't have to end up a mess.

It's been noted time and time again, when in doubt ask for help. Today I had to all for help from the Centreville Ohio police dept.
    Im on a permitted delivery 10ft wide with a 2pm appt time tomorrow, my route has me coming in on a tight 2 lane busy street, making a right hand turn at an extremely busy intersection with a very tight corner. I called the Centerville Ohio police dept and gave them a heads up on an approximate time that I'll be coming through, and asked for some traffic control assistance. They were more than willing to offer assistance just call them when I'm about 15 minutes away.
    The photo is the intersection, I'm coming north and turning right.
    Screenshot_20171116-151202.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Outstanding. You bet the local law will help you out.

We do the same thing here in our neck of the woods at a drop of a hat. They are more than happy to help.

I have called local law many times when confronted with a bridge or something I cannot solve on my own and they have invaribly been more than happy to corral the cars until I get turned around or something. Then tease me about it and laugh about how stupid I have been to get in that fix. =)

Good luck to you!

tscottme, Puppage and Gunner75 Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Just remember you are the captain of the ship, whatever problems you have during the transit is yours, asking for help is smart if you can get it. Make sure you do not hit anything because it will still be your fault. Do not let them hurry you, if you have to wait for better clearance, wait, it does not hurt having a little to much. Use your mirrors plenty and if something looks questionable, throw the flasher on and get out and look, that little walk sometimes gives you a better perspective and also calms you down a bit. Relax, take it easy and do not let anyone hurry you.

x1Heavy and Gunner75 Thank this.
  5. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Most likely ill have to take up the far left lane in order to make that turn. You can see the stop bar is Right up top the corner, and that corner has a pole and a hydrant, it is a two lane, but the lanes are skinny

Oxbow and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I've already contacted the store im delivering too and told them that I need them to advise the crane crews that I'll need traffic blocked in order for me to back in off the street. The store owner said "well the delivery guys foo it all the time with a 40ft trailer" I told him "there's a huge difference between a 40ft box trailer with a day cab and a 53ft double drop with a conventional tractor and a load that's 10ft wide" he then asked "what's the difference?" I said "im about 25 feet longer and 2 feet wider" nothing but silence after that

Screenshot_20171116-153809.jpg

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ahem, pardon me, any store manager puffed up with that kind of thinking "We do it with [insert short footage equipment] all the day..." to me that is a accident waiting to happen.

When I destroyed 10K in inventory (Trailers chained together) trying to free my entrapped truck with it's 53 foot reefer and a ginormous overhang behind the tandems all the way up... the HD store manager huffed at me, and looked down his nose at me saying "We turn around there all the time with our 35 foot trucks..." as if somehow I should miraculously turn a 70 foot truck in a 50 foot space.... (#### close, turning radius worked out to 44 feet on the front and zero pivoting on the rear....)

I hope you understand where i am coming from. The thinking of some people and it's flaw which to me is a raging red flag of a possible trouble when someone sprouts that they do such a such with a small truck all day somewhere...

jethro712 and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  8. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Awesome man. I've had to call the police a few times out here myself. I'd already gotten myself in a pinch though haha. Sure beats getting in an accident and having to deal with the consequences.

G13Tomcat, x1Heavy and Gunner75 Thank this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Wait a couple of months, and then after this thread is buried, you can tell the story of how a Centreville PD officer told you to run over an illegally parked car or he would tow your truck.

misterG, REO6205, Mudguppy and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Funny, I delivered to Centerville last week myself, and ended up in that same exact intersection deadheading to my next load. It was a very tight squeeze making that right, and I had to “ask” a whole row of four wheelers to give me a little more wiggle room. That’s a good move getting the local law enforcement to give you a hand there, you’ll need all the help you can get. Hope everything goes swimmingly for you!

11. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Remember according to the commercial drivers handbook you must keep your tires close to curb and jughandle turn is illegal

ZVar, Mudguppy, AModelCat and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.