Dont Buy International

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ringmaster88, Jul 19, 2013.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You get what you pay for ... for the most part. Yes, Kenworth is a better truck on many levels but it's about $15k more for a comparable spec'd truck. Most fleet buyers figure for $15k a pop, drivers can learn to live with a few non-ideal idiosyncrasies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Worst truck iv ever driven was a 9400i joke of a truck worst engine Cat I think piece of crap.

4. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    It amazes me how people cannot figure out how to use a power window.

Press the button down and you will feel that it has two positions. Lightly press to roll the window down to the desired position. PRESS FULLY down and release to roll the window all the way down. This is a feature to get your hand back on the wheel ASAP.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  5. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    While my assigned Kenworth T800 had an extended stay in the shop, I was forced to drive an International (13-letter manure spreader).
    No comparison to quality. Can instantly and easily tell every part of the KW was far better quality AND as if designed BY a professional driver himself, while the International had virtually none of the daily driver's tasks, hwy "functions", nor comfort in mind. Obviously designed by a "engineer" who never even sat in a tractor.

I can add a few more pet-peeves...
    Always on headlights - Grrrr!!! (Can't turn off headlights momentarily to give a courtesy signal for other trucks the "all clear" after they passed at night) Forced to flash brights (again,, grrrrr!).
    "Courtesy" intermittent switch - requires you to reach with right hand to dash to operate. (KW has it as easy push-button on end of turn signal lever).
    Driver's seat - felt as comfortable as sitting on a wood park bench for hours at a crack.
    Every interior cab item & slide-out cup holders - Cheap thin plastic "reinforced" by molded plastic 'ribs' on the backside.
    Interior light - guarantees total darkness on log book, from hand shadow while trying to fill it out.
    Windshield access for cleaning - takes a contortionist with a long handled bug cleaner just to try to get close to it.
    Cab noise from door/window air leaks (deafening!) .... I'll stop there. ...Please don't get me started.:biggrin_25510:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    luvtotruck Thanks this.
  6. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Pro Stars with the Maxx Farce are a total joke... Now a 9900 with a Cummins is a different story.

7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Glad you mentioned the headlights. On my 2013 Prostar Eagle, you can blink the headlights and the "Courtesy" intermittent off with the buttons on the steering wheel. However, one of my personal pet peeves is you cannot turn the stupid headlights OFF while you or someone else is backing into a spot at night. Other drivers think you are too lazy to switch them off and truth of the matter is you cannot do that.
    See above comments.

'013 the cup holders are molded into the console. None of that slide-out stuff. Much more solid now and 2 different sizes, 3 if you remove the ashtray. Nice storage compartments in the sleeper. Two different sizes, each with 2 shelves. Doors that lift up. Each side has 1 open shelf on the bottom, not covered by doors.
    2013 has a BRIGHT led light directly above the steering wheel. No problems seeing your logbook and no hand shadows.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  8. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    i'll take all that,including the weak maxforce, and trade you my 09 volvo with the volvo d-13 and @ 700k on it. drive that for a week and you will stop complaining.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  9. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    The radio is most likely option chosen by who orders the truck, the radio I had in my prostar was back lit, the window didn't roll all the way down if you don't push the window button too hard.

10. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    When I drove a prostar at roehl I thought the maxxforce had good pulling strength on hills, until I got into this long nose Pete with twin turbo C-15 under the hood, I've realized how much those trucks were gutless and how bad that company turned down the horse power.

This 475hp c-15 blew me away with the power it produced, pulls hills like a champ. I really wanna get behind a 600+ horse engine and see how they do

11. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I might just take you up on that. I had an '06 780, then an '09 780 with the D-13 and I really liked them. Yes, each of them had some problems but did I mention I HATE this Prostar with the Maxxforce. Granted, both of the 780's were turned in with a tick over 500,000 miles on them and both of them ate right steer tires like candy (50,000 and they were worn to the point of replacement). Each time, fresh alignments,etc but those were still very comfortable trucks to drive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.