DON'T Do It (Part 4: The Path of Least Resistance)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Oct 11, 2018.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    "Hi, My name is Dilbert. I am 30 years old. I am interested in driving trucks. I have no work history and no money. What I really want to know is, do I have to have an address to get a driving job? See, I lived in MeMaw's basement but MeMaw passed on and I am needing somewhere's to live. Do any of you live in your trucks? Also, I am an avid gamer. Are there any other gamers out there? How do you power your games inside a truck? And can anyone recommend a good company for me to start at, preferably that doesn't do hair follicle testing? Email me at fatsidewalksissy.com. Thanks in advance."

Sound familiar? Of course, it does. It is common for people who are unwilling to put any effort in their life to look at the trucking industry. They see someone driving down the highway holding a steeringwheel. "Hey! I can do that! That person is just sitting there holding a steering wheel! That would be perfect for me!"

Well, the problem is, people who are unwilling to put forth any effort in their lives are easily dissuaded from reaching their goals, easily influenced, easily beaten and easily controlled. How so? You go for the first school that will accept you. You take the job from the very first recruiter that gives you a prehire letter. School was a bit more difficult than you thought it would be, and so you do a little research and come to the very first website when you did a google search, which usually is TheTruckersReport. You ask your question, and you listen to the very first person that says what you want to hear and never listen to the person that says what you need to hear. Aha! Now, you feel that you are "educated." Congratulations.

You take a 30 hour bus ride to orientation. You go into a room and sit among losers. God, you cant believe how big of a loser that some of these people are. But you're educated. You have a plan. They put you up in the worst motel you've ever seen. With a roommate. Some dude who spends all his time on the phone with the TV blaring loudly. Doesn't this guy work? The next day, there's a new person. You get done with orientation, you're now the one sitting in the motel. Gee, this sucks. No money. Cant leave your game in the room. And they cant remember your name is Dilbert. They call you OU812 or some other code or something. Money's getting tight and you finally get a trainer. You went to the worst school, accepted a prehire from the worst company and suddenly, you are surprised that your trainer is one of the worst human beings that you ever met in life. He actually wants YOU to do all the driving! "But I am tired! He doesn't do anything but sit in the passenger seat! This isnt fun. It's actually hard. I didn't sign up for anything difficult. I know! I will ask the smart people at TTR about quitting!"

"Hey, this is Dilbert. I am riding with a trainer at Moron Trucking. They paid for my schooling if I agree to drive for them for a year. I have been in the trainer's truck for 4 days, and he's a major jerk! He makes me drive when I am tired. I don't feel safe. What happens if I quit Moron Trucking and go back home?"

"hey dilbert dis is doofus u deserv to be treated wit ruspeck if i wore u i wud kwit i kwit my job and got me another job the guvmint shud do sumthin bout dem megas dissing on folks like u n me"

Did you know, that anyone that is waiting on the government to change things for them are also on the path of least resistance? So, Dilbert will listen to Doofus because Doofus, who Dilbert would under any other circumstance would consider a dumbarse, is saying what Dilbert is wanting to hear. Remember, being on the path of least resistance means you will hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see. How educated can a person be? If you were in first grade and only learned what you wanted to learn? "Well, I use 3 let wud i no lik 4 let wud." The school should conform their curriculum to you and not vice versa. If you want it, it should be given to you.

"I'm a little princess!"

No you're not, boy.

jcrack08, SAR, 4mer trucker and 47 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Six, tell us how you really feel.
    The thing is, this is mostly truth today.
    Not good.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Ought to put that thumb tacked on the top of every sub forum on here.

Wisdom

SAR, Shock Therapy, Coover and 22 others Thank this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I want to reply with a laugh, sadly I can't because this is the truth that plays out hundreds of times a day all across the industry. Actually not even just the trucking industry but all industry. Far too many participation generation folks looking for a free ride into the workforce.

Badmon, Shock Therapy, Coover and 18 others Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I'm not ranting or anything. You know the old saying about "birds of a feather"? It's true. Some people want to truck because of the truck. Biggest thing on the highway. Some people pull OSOW because it's big. And when these guys get to do what they want to do, they are happy. Strange, right? When you read these forums and so many are so unhappy "living in a truck", and how they hate their job and whatnot, if you were looking for disgruntled complainers, you would flock to places that they frequent.

"Yep, it's not like it used to be. Can't make no money out here no more."

I find it interesting when someone says that they've been driving for 20-30 years but 'can't make money out here no more.' Things change. If I became an auto mechanic 30 years ago, and never learned OBDII or any of the updates and changes, and I said, "cant make money turning wrenches anymore," where is the problem....me or the industry? If I didn't keep up and I got left behind, how can I blame the industry? Why would I blame the industry? Because blaming others for your failures is a common trait of people who are on the path of least resistance.

Badmon, jcrack08, homeskillet and 26 others Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Wisdom is the ability to use knowledge and intelligence to your benefit. Stupidity is having or possessing knowledge or intelligence but CHOOSING not to use it. If there's any one of us that should write a "How To Gain The Edge in Truckin" book for the trucking industry, it's Ruthless.

wore out, SAR, Lepton1 and 21 others Thank this.
  8. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    I'd read the #### outta that.

wore out, SAR, Lepton1 and 16 others Thank this.
  9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    In retail, I would have called this person a counter flower; the stay on the phone, not worried about doing anything that involves actual work.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Would you mind posting an example and stories of the "counter flowers?"

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    That waz harsh. No candy coating.
    I loved it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.