DON'T Do It (Part 4: The Path of Least Resistance)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Oct 11, 2018.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    One of our problems as a country is we’ve gotten away from apprenticeships.

Oxbow, Crusader66, wore out and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    You can't treat a new hire today the way we were treated back then in construction. It was almost a right of passage with the job and fellow workers.

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Youtube is way better. You can still learn how to do stuff, but without hearing about how life was when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I do understand your point, you can learn a lot from YouTube. But in your PROFESSION, the goal isn’t to do stuff, it is to be good at what you do.
    In the Matrix, Neo goes from an ordinary guy to a butt kicking machine just from downloading a KungFu program. And we can learn kungfu by watching YouTube videos. However you will never MASTER the arts by sitting and watching videos. And the body will be unprepared physically.

If I wanted to survive in the 21st century, I would have no issues listening to someone that survived when dinosaurs roamed.

“But Six, his info would be obsolete! There aren’t anymore dinosaurs!”

True, it’s that toughness and the mindset I would want to learn. Toughness is a thing of the past that will be needed in the future.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD

Gearjammin' Penguin and Zeviander Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Problem with YouTube is the same problem with this site: Too many clueless morons preaching their BS like its the gospel truth. I'd rather learn from an old timer. At least you can read a person IRL and judge just how full of #### they are.

Oxbow, Feedman, Brettj3876 and 12 others Thank this.
  8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I prefer Youtube because I can do it on my time, and the ratio of thumbs up to down is a good indicator of the quality of the video. Then there are comments and questions for any issues. Plus if you decide you don't like it halfway through, you won't hurt its feelings by closing it.

The age of the teacher doesn't really matter. Some old people ramble, some young people ramble. Fast forward helps a lot, too.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Another thumbtack worthy addition.

Oxbow, Feedman, wore out and 11 others Thank this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    My dad alway told me if you want to learn find an old guy and listen. You can see how to do some things on YouTube and a lot more by just doing it but there’s something to be said for having someone watch over your shoulder. There’s a lot of satisfaction to working around someone who is hard on you and you think never thinks your good enough only to find out they’re telling other people how good your doing.

Oxbow, Feedman, Crusader66 and 13 others Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I always loved working with the crusty old timers. They knew their stuff and if you proved yourself, they'd show you absolutely everything they knew.

Oxbow, Feedman, Crusader66 and 13 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.