DON'T Do It (Part 4: The Path of Least Resistance)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I road tested about 45 drivers for a local driving job a few years ago and failed over half. We required 3 years of experience. Below are some examples and why I will never train.

Did not know what tandems were, or that they slid. One spent 15 minutes and wasn’t able to connect the red and blue air lines. Another refused every turn I instructed and went straight instead insisting the corners were impossibly tight to make. Had a guy who said the 6th gear is broken but the other 9 work great. Even had someone say the company was ‘trending and very popular right now’ (only 14 of us lol). Most flat out refused my assistance backing into a slot and pulled up well over 10 times.

MACK E-6, Oxbow, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I was talking to a new guy on the phone one day explaining how to get to a customer. He somehow missed the turn as I was explaining what to look for (only one road and you can only turn left).

He is in a daycab with an air assist fifth wheel release. I hear the forklift driver tell him to slide his tandems. He says ok, then asks me how to slide them. I asked him to repeat it because I know he didn't just ask me that. I finally talk him through sliding them, now comes the fifth wheel release. I explain where the release is and the instructions on the dash and the specific order.

He argues that its not there and says the truck isn't a Peterbilt, I ask him what truck emblem is on the steering wheel. "Oh, ok". Gets them slid then I have to explain how to use air slide tandems on the other trailer and where the 41 foot mark is. I immediately called recruiting and told them, they did a more in depth background. He was released shortly after. 3 years OTR? I don't think so.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    MACK E-6, cke, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Idiot stories? Tons of them but I'll give just one. For now.
    I was working for a tanker outfit and we were hiring drivers.
    One of our senior drivers took an applicant out for a road test and came back looking grim. We stood there and watched as the applicant got in his car and left.
    "How did he do" I asked
    The answer was "Well Terry, now I know why you don't let us carry guns on the truck".
    That was all the explanation I needed.

beastr123, PPDCT, Oxbow and 11 others Thank this.
  5. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    LOL!!!

Is that jacket made out of a burlap sack?

PPDCT, Oxbow, Ruthless and 5 others Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Probably some synthetic fabric so he doesn’t have to think about cotton suffering. And it’s woman repellant if the beard and jeans don’t work.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Oxbow, Ruthless, TripleSix and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I’m sure it’s made out of hemp.

Oxbow, snowman_w900, sawmill and 4 others Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No mention of the Snidely Whiplash mustache?

Oxbow, Ruthless, snowman_w900 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Good eye, Six. He's probably been growing it since he was 15. The soy latte keeps his estrogen levels high so it doesn't grow too fast.

Oxbow, Tug Toy, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Crusader66

Crusader66 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Where I work, which for those that don't know is at an Air Force Base, we are 2 and 3 pay grades above other aircraft mechanics on base in the section I work in so every body and their brother and cousins and in-laws want to come work there because who doesn't want to make more money, which is great, but bring a skill set with you, some experience.

They hire kids right out of tech schools or right off the street if they have their A&P licenses with zero real world experience and make them the same pay grade as guy's that have 20, 30, 35 yrs, worth of military and civilian experience and also most have flown all over the world in all kinds of situations and conditions, but yet they bring in these young guys and give them the same amount of money per hour as the more experienced?

Now you have everybody the same pay grade so the younger guys don't think they have to do any work because they're the same pay grade as the older fellas and their is zero incentive to do a good job much less work hard because they are already at the top of the totem pole. Don't get me started about laziness and ####iness among our youth nowadays and then add to that being in government employ, it's a nightmare scenario.

Yeah, no issues at my job, lol.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    cke, LoneCowboy, Oxbow and 10 others Thank this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    All the useful stuff I've learned in my 4 years driving has been from old hands like my dad and you guys. My dad and I were just talking about this earlier. When I was doing construction and carpentry work in high school and early 20k I learned from a real old school dude. Post and beam barns and high end houses......hand hued beams and made our own pegs with hand tools. That is a dying art

I'm in my mid 20s still single and plan on keeping it that way. I don't feel the need to have a gf just to say I have one. Not til the right one comes along. Most aren't worth giving the time of day to, at least the ones my age

dwells40, cke, MACK E-6 and 10 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.