Don't Even Give Them a Chance

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by Elcheese, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Freddyrich

Freddyrich Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2019
    I’m a new graduate and I’ve had my orientation already I’m thinking about getting my experience with them then leaving any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m really surprised.

I came to Western Express in the middle of summer. The Bloomington yard seems to be a step apart. I’ve had none of the issues. They gave me a new tractor. My DM gets me home whenever I ask. I run good routes and yes the CPM is low but the talk is of raises are coming.

I’m a hard worker. I deliver and pick up early or on time. I feel bad for the OP, and if that had been my experience I would’ve bailed.

I always can get hold of a DM day or night. Sunday’s suck since there’s no LP on. I’ve never had an issue with any item I needed. I just send the macro and the money gets put on my card.

I run western 11. I’m not a recruiter. I’m a company driver and soon to be trainer.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. supertrucker79

supertrucker79 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ive been driving for 12 years. Done refer, dry van, dump trailers, regional, OTR and some flatbed, but not in capacity of delivery. I would operate heavy equipment I brought via the flat bed.

Ive only been here for several months myself. I wont butter you up. Western, just like any big carrier has its issues. Ive learned, that like people, some are run a little better or worse

My Ratings 1 to 10:

Overall : 6
    Orientation : 3
    Professional courtesey: 7
    Dispatch : 8 (night/weekend 0)
    Breakdown : 8 (night/weekend 1)
    Maintenance turn around time: 2
    Mechanics humor: 8
    Office worker driver lifestyle comprehension : 1 (they understand we drive their loads and its not done with fairy dust)
    Miles : 9 (3K average+)
    Pay : 7 (van sliding scale)
    Hometime: 8 (4 days max or swap truck)
    Pranksters pulling 5th wheel while visiting office in TN: 10
    Common sense organizational skills and planning: 6
    TN Terminal : 6 (hot showers and fresh linen, vending, microwave, laundry)
    PA Terminal : 5 (burger king across street)
    CT Terminal : 4 (no heat, good staff, vending, microwave, occaisional free pizza if orientation that day)
    Inter communication skills of non drivers: 3 (mechanics 8)
    Yankee/Southener ratio 1:357
    Real trucker/trucker ratio: 1:357

Western is like most big carriers. They bring in tons of people and even train noobs. So, you will hear bad things from seemingly lots of people, but this is just the sheer volume of drivers and the high turnover in the industry. Lots of guys constantly complain because they simply like to do so. Some of its legit, but you need to put that all into perspective. You pretty much have the babies who cry and you got decent good drivers that may have had a rough day. It happens in this industry and not at convenient times, its part of the life style.

Orientation is hurried as they process you and figure out how good you are. There is a LOT of processing that needs done in such a short time. Most drivers only see their point of view and forsake all others. Just work through it and actually act like you want a career with this company and use your brain to think, take notes, keep the paper work they give you while following the instructions you are given. This is how they weed out the lazy, dont give a care, bums that turn into the complainers you hear at all the truck stops.

Next, if you dont have recent experience, you will get with a trainer. Depending on how your road test went, you will team 1-4 weeks depending on your determinded skill demonstration. Dont know how it works if you have no experience.

Now you finish with a road test again and you get dropped off at a terminal on the ground running. If you want to go home at this point they will get you a truck and send you loads near your home town. I chose to go out for a month right away to make money. Training pay is a flat rate of $400 week and your experience will depend on your relationship with the trainer. Some people have chemistry and get along, others cant wait to end it.

I got a brand new 2018 international LT. I dont cry over the phone with my dispatcher every time something isnt perfect. I pre/post inspect every trip and every trailer picked/dropped and I get problems fixed when I find them, unlike some of these guys on drop loads that stick the guy picking it up. I also drop the trailer properly. Ever hear of suspension dump Western drivers? I keep my personal hygeine up and conduct myself as professionally as possible when I work with dispatchers, maintenance and customers. I log everything the right way and send in all messages and documentation correctly.

Guess what? I run 3K every week, dispatch never bothers me and lets me run without micromanagement, I get home 4 days every 4 weeks as requested and they have me run dedicated walmart from time to time because they can trust me to do all the things above.

Again, you get what you put into this company for the most part. They have their unfavorable aspects as well. They will run you and you wont be sitting. Loads come quickly and almost always have a preload. If you never ran hard before, then you will certainly learn how to use your 8 day recaps effeciently with Western.

6. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    From my experience at Western you hit the nail on the head.

This is 100% true:
    Dispatch : 8 (night/weekend 0)

Weekend dispatch is non-existent. If you don’t have a load to pull through Monday morning on Friday you’ll be sitting.

Rocknroller4 and Zoltan1a Thank this.
  7. fuel367

fuel367 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2019
    what is it about u and this god bless everything. keep ur religion to urself. some atheists out here dude

8. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Take a chill pill @fuel367 , pay no mind to the last paragraph if it offends ya that much. Move along

Lonesome and Hillbilly hauler Thank this.
  9. otterinthewater

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I think this should be ok then.

May Science and Logic be bestowed on your family and may they shun the make believe deities.

Science and logic bless the USA

Lonesome and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Amen, brother.

Lonesome, Zoltan1a and otterinthewater Thank this.
  11. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    yeah man my bad i mis-spoke. Way too frustrated and faith is weening. Read his comment at wrong time. Wasn't fair to him

12. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    my bad inandoutoftrouble. Letting frustration confuse and weaken my beliefs and comment. Spoke outta place man

CoveringBases Thanks this.
  13. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    LOL great read.

• Truckers Report Jobs