Don't Use A Non Commercial GPS When Driving a Commercial Vehicle!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MooneyBravo, Mar 25, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I agree with the above. I've used Google Maps for routing when I've already used a truck specific GPS and know the truck-safe route, or when using Trucker Path, which uses Google Maps in the free version, but will add truck-specific routing info when using either paid version. There have been instance, my reliable RM was failing and I was adjusting to a new Garmin GPS and in an area where I was unfamiliar, that I was running 3 GPS devices to compare one device against another or for another reason. Commercial ships and aircraft are not using 1 device and hoping for the best and they can operate in areas much less complicated than the road network.

I'd recommend use not all methods at all times, but use the old and new methods of navigation enough to be able to complete trips regardless of which method you have available and so your experience and the method can be used as a check to gain confidence in the newer method and to know where each method is weak. There are plenty of us old drivers that knew of drivers getting lost or getting in a jam "because that's how the customer said to go."

alds Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

I never had much experience with ANY GPS until I got into the truck in mid-1990s. In my past experience in aircraft, GPS was not map based or graphical. It was text based or left/right based because the GPS devices were so new and everything wasn't a super-computer. One the the GPS devices do, unless you work against them, is rob you of context. Because the paper atlas were so large-scale not street-level you were forced to see the bigger picture. The improper use of GPS makes it very easy to be anywhere, go anywhere, by any route and not have any idea what's around you and how anything relates to anything else. There have been times when I've navigated by just following the "left" and "right" from a GPS for one reason or another. It provides much anxiety. That really is more like putting a blindfold on than navigation. One little mistake by the device, the driver, or something else will ruin your day.

MadScientist and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I wholeheartedly agree. I'm predominately a West Coast driver. Probably 85% of the time I'm in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah and California. After a couple of years running those states as much as I do, I seldom really even need anything to tell me how to get where I'm going, to importantly include where to find parking, what areas that are difficult to find parking, etc. At the moment, I find myself in the Midwest. Tonight I'm in Kentucky, tomorrow Ohio then to Virginia and then to Texas. Taking me noticeably more effort and time to get myself routed and at much more of a loss with parking. It's all good. But, after Texas, I should be getting back into my Western States and although I've enjoyed straying outside my usual arena, I'm gonna be glad to get back to my 'home' terf!!!!

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

I had the mirror-image of your situation last year when I switched from a Southeast US based driver with experience in 38 states, except the NW, to full-time operating in the PNW and NW with ONLY a truck GPS and no NW experience or context. I was very thankful my reliable OLD RM GPS didn't go mammaries up until toward the end. I'm also glad how much less traffic there was out in the non-urban NW compared to the hellscape back East.

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    been there many times..

It's too much hassle for them to unload off the main road. They want the truck right on the unload spot.

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I have two garmins. One Truckers Path. The usual apple, and google. And my Atlas.
    I often enough have to go over all of them to choose the right path. All the electronic ones goof up. Here's a cute story...
    I had a delivery out by the Denver Airport. New area, new warehouse. Only thing that showed this place was google maps. So I followed it. I'm going toward the airport on Pena. Suddenly I see these overhead freeway type signs that say: "Welcome to the Airport. Terminal xxx left lanes. Terminal xxx right lanes".... I thought Oh S!.... Then looked at the little google map on my smart phone. There was a little road just ahead to turn right. I got to it. Yes it was a little old road still there. I turned right. Followed it until it turned into a big beautiful street. The warehouse was out there. ... now... I just take 56th Ave. out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.