Don't wait past 60 days.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ugminer, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Ugminer

Ugminer Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Just a FYI kinda thing for someone who is thinking about getting your cdl, but not sure when you wanna start. Try an drive within 60 days. I know its not the case always. But I finished my classed back in June. It wasn't until August I was able to take test. So now its been past 60 days since I graduated. Most companies tell me they can't take me cause its been to long. I need to get 3 months experience. How the hell am I suppose to get experience lol? An if I did have it I sure the hell wouldn't go to some of the mega starter companies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Some companies will require you take a refresher course, at which point you are considered a fresh newbie and they can hire you. The bigger companies are more likely to do that.

My best advice for others reading this thread is NEVER get your CDL "just in case" you want to have it or use it some day. Wait until you find a company you really want to work for m not just A company that hires A driver. If the company has the pay, benefits, schedule, etc you really like and you have talked to current working drivers doing the job you want to do for that company, then it doesn't matter of they have their own CDL school AND require a 12 month contract. If it's the company you want to work at, then sign the contract.

To the original poster, make sure you are not just doing an internet job search. Many small companies don't hire drivers that way. There are a lot more small companies than big companies. You might have to make phone calls or drive to the truck company yard to ask questions. There are good places to work. Make sure to post your city and state so people can help you find companies.

Boondock and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Easy. Just go take a 'refresher' course at your local tech school.

6. Ugminer

Apr 1, 2020
    I'm not saying anything wrong with mega companies. I understand i gotta get start somewhere. They are the ones that's telling me that. Werner, roehl, paper transport, Stevens just to name a few

7. Ugminer

Apr 1, 2020
    I was able to take the class through a state funded grant. That i barely got in cause someone had backed out, an they was pretty much needing to spend the money.

8. easternguy101

easternguy101 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2022
    What test did you take in Aug. The cdl test ? You gad a gap between the permits and the actual skill test ?

9. Ugminer

Apr 1, 2020
    I took the class from April to June maybe July I don't remember now. But I took road and skill test in August. Cause that's when the testing site had opening

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.