Door swinger to tanker?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by RollsOverEveryHillLast, Jul 16, 2019.

1. RollsOverEveryHillLast

RollsOverEveryHillLast Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Chiraq, Killinois
    Hey ya'll

Had this account for some time, just never used really. I've been driving OTR/Regional and sometimes local out of the Chicagoland area for three years. I've done reefer, van, and intermodal.

I just up and quit my last job hauling cans... Did it for about a year. Unfortunately with the tariffs and the flooding out west my job got extremely slow for my micro fleet of just 15 drivers. Money was good, but the work was extremely stressful. I was always playing Mr. Fixit because chassis were juuuuuunk. Just wanted to take some time off to really hustle on my restoration project....

Im curious about the tanker world now. I've got a neighbor who hauls pipebombs for Praxair and does very good! I also noticed O/O tanker yankers often times drive flashy rigs. I guess they make enough cheddar to warrant the use of excessive chrome for them tax write offs?

I've got a 1997 International 9300 with a sleeper cab, flattop. I am in the process of respraying the truck from the ugly faded and neglected dark red color to white. Also, I gotta get a new steering box, and two new steers. Other than that and a good interior clean, she's a really nice truck. Always started for me without issue when had to be moved or whatever. Cummins N14 redtop, 460HP, Spicer 10 sp, 3.55 rears.. It used to be a bulk tanker truck! So I already have a spot on the back where a PTO was mounted.

I'm trying to find a carrier that would allow me (if possible) to start out as a company driver and then transition into O/O and allow me to run my International. I know some carriers (for some idiotic reason) decide to limit the age on tractors. Even considering that my truck is almost as old as I am (Born 1993) I guarantee that my 22 year old tractor broke down less in its lifetime with 1.1 million than any new EGR/DEF/DPF truck ever will lol.

Regardless, If ya'll could please recommend me to a carrier that could maybe start me as a company driver, show me the tanker world of view, and sign on a older truck I'd really appreciate it!

Also, Bonus if paper log friendly, but I understand that may be extremely limiting....

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You'll never swing a door again,,and you may have a good truck,,,for swinging doors, but tanker outfits usually have new stuff. Tanker contents can't be sitting broken down somewhere, like say, a load of diapers.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. RollsOverEveryHillLast

Jan 1, 2017
    Chiraq, Killinois
    Over these short three years I've been towed 6 times. Each being a DPF related issue. If that's truly the case then I'll stay haulin' diapers you can have those emission trucks

RockinChair and 201 Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think there might be tanker jobs with not such hot cargo. Water, milk, or I see a lot of older trucks hauling manure to fields, if you could handle that, but not many older trucks pulling shiny new food grade tankers.

homeskillet and Just passing by Thank this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

Yeah, I've never seen or heard of a load of cement powder going bad because a truck broke down.:biggrin_25525:

Milk on the other hand.....

RockinChair, KillingTime, 201 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    They'd use the milk anyway, just becomes yogurt or cottage cheese.

RollsOverEveryHillLast Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Don't even worry about the truck for now. As you said, you want to try tanker being a company driver first anyway. There are a number of companies in your area. With your driving experience you shouldn't have any problem finding on that will train on tank.

RollsOverEveryHillLast Thanks this.
  9. RollsOverEveryHillLast

Jan 1, 2017
    Chiraq, Killinois
    Thanks a lot!

Ive heard good things about Coal City Cobb.. They good to do business with ?

10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    There is a dude in the twin cities hauling asphalt and gas with the most bad ### r model Mack I’ve ever seen.

Super clean paint and everything is polished and spotless.

Anyone else seen that red r model with flames pulling for Wayne?

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  11. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Nothing bad, which says alot in and of itself. I ran into alot of their guys at the waxahachie tankwash and they all seemed happy. Usually too busy to talk long

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.