DOT fire extinguisher regs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by coueshunter, Nov 18, 2016.

1. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    i was DOT recently and asked if I had a fire extinguisher. Of course... he said it was a violation without having a tested and expiration tag on the extinguisher.

These are your normal disposable extinguishers all trucks have.

I've tried to know avail to find the requirements of a fire extinguisher regarding an expiration and tag

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Did he write a ticket? Did he write a warning on your inspection report? If so, what exactly does it say?

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    They've always looked at my tag and gauge. But they haven't been asking for it lately. Not even the triangles have been looked at.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If the extinguisher has its manufacturer's markings and/or tags as when new, it will meet the regulations as posted below.

§393.95 Emergency equipment on all power units.

Each truck, truck tractor, and bus (except those towed in driveaway-towaway operations) must be equipped as follows:

(a) Fire extinguishers—(1) Minimum ratings. (i) A power unit that is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding (See §177.823 of this title) must be equipped with a fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 10 B:C or more.

(ii) A power unit that is not used to transport hazardous materials must be equipped with either:

(A) A fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 5 B:C or more; or

(B) Two fire extinguishers, each of which has an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 4 B:C or more.

(2) Labeling and marking. Each fire extinguisher required by this section must be labeled or marked by the manufacturer with its Underwriters' Laboratories rating.

(3) Visual Indicators. The fire extinguisher must be designed, constructed, and maintained to permit visual determination of whether it is fully charged.

(4) Condition, location, and mounting. The fire extinguisher(s) must be filled and located so that it is readily accessible for use. The extinguisher(s) must be securely mounted to prevent sliding, rolling, or vertical movement relative to the motor vehicle.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.393#se49.5.393_195

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That right there gets some folks in trouble. If it is mounted under your bunk or on the other side of the passenger seat, or buried under a pile of other equipment, you can be cited. Some DOT officers will interpret that phrase to mean that it should be within your reach from the driver's seat.

not4hire Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Most of the trucks (~75%) I have operated have had the extinguisher mounted* in the driver's side jockey box (labeled as "Fire Extinguisher Inside") and either openable from the outside or from the driver's seat area. I have never had it questioned, but agree that is probably best located next to the driver's seat.

*Mounted being the key word. They don't want to see it loose and I always used the manufacturer's mounting bracket on the outside wall next to the door and without piling a bunch of stuff in the way. One time I was getting inspected by a very serious NV State Trooper and I told him the only thing that extinguisher was good for was fending off any first responders so I would at least get a complete burn on the truck and be able to collect insurance. He laughed.

Bean Jr., Ruthless and Chewy352 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How do you test one without it being useless after the test?

How many of you buy rechargeable extinguishers?

9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Aren't most fire extinguishers rechargeable? I used to work for a towing company and once a year a guy came around, tested all the fire extinguishers, and recharged any that needed it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Indicator is in the green meaning the unit is charged and ready.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Most truck extinguishers are not rechargeable, they are disposables.

I think a 5 lb is where they start to be rechargeable.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.