Dot Foods Recent Info

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mr klean2k12, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Mr klean2k12

Mr klean2k12 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Riding my Harley
    Any current drivers for Dot foods on here? Had a buddy of mine tell me that a new DC will be going up in the Delaware area. Trying to get a gauge on how extensive the unloading and hiring process will be. Some have said they are great to work for, others have said that is not worth the headache. Equipment seems to be up to date as I've seen there drivers with 630, 670, 760, 860 and 780 Volvo. Was pretty sure I seen a Pete coming through Indian but it was night time so it may have been a Volvo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It will still be controlled Chaos like any place with Food by the pallet and many docks.

The problem I think if anything is the failure to put a man at every dock capable of removing the inbound loads in 15 minutes with a forklift. The days of running a big warehouse or cold storage with a crew of 3 with 200 trucks coming has to stop.

Metallica88 and Mr klean2k12 Thank this.
  4. Mr klean2k12

Nov 19, 2011
    Riding my Harley
    That's a good point. Depending upon how many pallets are there to be broken down I'm sure it could take up to a couple hours at one stop. Most of their drivers I talked with seem to be content with what they are doing but a there are a few "horror" stories about management, loads, etc. It would be interesting to hear from a few current drivers especially with the new location in Bear under construction.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In the old Blue Diamond Facility as well as a number of older Transloading Docks across Baltimore, they used to bring in Teenagers who got big enough and wanna earn a few dollars in those days up to the 60's at least. All they had to do is move boxes. Many of them across the place from one trailer to the next by hand. Many teenagers. It was a happy time so I hear.

Eventually some of them grew to 21 and became able to be hired on to drive for the company and others. By then they had gotten big and strong on the good food locally, decent money and worked off the beer and so on all day after school and sometimes after graduating.

Im talking a dozen maybe multiples of dozens of people. Make all that freight organized in a jiffy. No outside lumper BS or fees etc.

You would think many modern companies will just lighten up, (Francis...) loosen up a little bit and pay a few dollars for kids to come in and move food. Maybe toss a case of some favorite food to them as in kind payment, partly to help keep up their protein and partly to help them enjoy (Endure) the work better.

For myself today touching a cardboard box cracks my palms a little bit and I remember both the joy of a job finished as well as the pain that went along with moving 48000 pounds in 6 hours for 40 dollars before taxes.

And you wonder why I have nothing plus a broken skeleton. Part of that is my own fault, for being so stupid to work so hard for so little or free.

6. Mr klean2k12

Nov 19, 2011
    Riding my Harley
    Yeah it's all about liability today. I grew up in lower Delaware myself and there used to be no problem to get a summer job helping a farmer picking tomatoes, watermelon you name it. Now you have to have a work permit and everything else.

I drive for a private fleet myself and we touch freight about 10 to 15%. Used to work for Pepsi in my younger days and its still telling on me. Dot seems to be growing in leaps and bounds on their website it mentions the Delaware location will be their 12th Dc that's pretty good for a company that size. I heard they have no touch positions too but that may just be a certain terminals.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Crusader66

Crusader66 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Whereabouts did you grow up? I lived in Milton for several years, drove for Reed.

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    This is info from an interview earlier this year. There are two driving jobs; one is no-touch between DC's, the other you do dock delivery and pickup, sometimes filling small orders from pallets and sometimes the whole truck goes one place and sometimes you are picking up orders for the company from suppliers to take back to the DC. Most places you unload, some do it themselves because of policy, you still get paid piece and pallet for those.

The active drivers go from the DC to local urban markets and do whatever of the above that they need to do, it's forced dispatch. They might use an active driver for no-touch or vice-versa, stuff needs to get done. I applied for no-touch and they immediately talked to me about being active (my word for it) which I actually preferred, but I didn't want to drive in the particular urban market that DC serves. If you are in DE you will likely do NYC, NJ, DC, start at oh dark thirty and run out your hours or make it back to go again. Everywhere, every nook with a 53 reefer and sleeper Volvo, no short trucks that I saw.

They are tough and thorough with hiring people, the interview is intensive and long, they will check your references with a privacy-invading third party, not in person. But they aren't trying to be a-holes, everyone was professional, not like ODFL's fake-nice. They want good temperament and judgement and high quality. Everyone you work with will have passed the same threshold so it's supposedly a great place to work.

The best time to get in is when they open a DC, they need new people. Otherwise the openings are only there to cover the low turnover.

Mr klean2k12 Thanks this.
  9. Mr klean2k12

Nov 19, 2011
    Riding my Harley
    I grew up in the big city of Blades lol. Right now I stay in Bridgeville and its not too bad over here. Yeah Reed Trucking I see those guys up at Hunts Point and Keasbey sometimes. Seem like a descent outfit.

Crusader66 Thanks this.
  10. Mr klean2k12

Nov 19, 2011
    Riding my Harley
    Speedyk thanks for the 411. That Bear location is being built right now and I heard they want to hire around 50 drivers or so. Sounds like a good gig but finger printing all that freight sounds like its more than a notion. They put a terminal right there in New Castle until the DC gets done. Tyson treats me pretty good but I hear there's a lot of hype with them coming to Delaware.

11. Crusader66

Crusader66 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Blades America, lol, gotcha.

Yeah, did a lot of Hunts Point and all the other buroughs, back hauled to DC and Baltimore mostly, wasn't bad at all and it was a great place to work. The President of the company, Blake Reed, is a really good guy too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.