DOT Physical

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by CMMoore80, Jun 10, 2018.

1. CMMoore80

CMMoore80 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    So I just signed up for PTD and got hired on with Schneider pending a DOT physical. Well I went and took the physical and made the stupid mistake of letting it slip that six years ago I had seizures. I have not been on medications or had anything happen since then. So they said I wouldn't pass and just sent me home. I'm assuming marking it as a fail. My question is, if I go to another company and get another DOT physical at another place and "forget" to mention that, (maybe even in another state) would there be any red flags or would I be ok to work? Would the physical be sent to the new Dr doing it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Legally you can go to another doc but you are supposed to give them the exact same info the first one got. The examiners are supposed to put the failed (or passed) test into a database but I don't think the database is operational yet. If you didn't put that seizure thing in writing on the form, you might get away with it.
    I do wonder if you were treated for seizures how you kept a drivers license. I know around here drivers licenses are taken away with any seizures.

BUMBACLADWAR and CMMoore80 Thank this.
  4. CMMoore80

CMMoore80 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I wrote it on the paperwork they made me fill out in the beginning of the appointment. I was under the impression it would have been like everything else; a five year record. And after a year of no seizures around here, we can get our drivers license. So do you think I would be wasting my time going to another place? I was thinking about going to a completely different state anyways.

5. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ya...I Dont know? Basically you Never...Volunteer Negative info about Yourself.Bad Back...No...Tenderness in Stomach No ,trouble Sleeping...No.I m Not sure of Legalities of "Divulging" info.Im "healthy as a horse"....According to my checklist anyway.Im not sure though ...Seizures...Might be Bad tio play off.? Six years though? No problem ...Since?

CMMoore80 Thanks this.
  6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Just go to a different doc for a new physical and don't mention anything about the previous one. You will be fine.

As others have said, don't volunteer anything that is not relevant to your situation today. If you have not had a seizure in 6 years, that is not relevant.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You said a magic word. Seizures.

That's a automatic DQ for trucking. You will have to approach Uncle Sam via FMCSA for a physical waiver specific to your Seizures in order to be allowed to get through a DOT physical. Unfortunately probably to big data, that little word has begun to populate your records from either before or entered by that doctor who denied you a medical card (And rightfully so...)

There is one word I use on my DOT exams.

Literally "No" no this no that no no and no. All the way down the long form. I dare the DOT doctor to find the things I know are flaws in my medical physical system. If doc does not find anything, so much the better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.