DOT Using prepass for Log Falsification

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by BUZZSAW, Jul 27, 2007.

1. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Has anyone heard of DOT enforcement using prepass records for matching driver's logs?
    Had a conversation with a DOT officer "off the record" recently while on vacation, he was from the Midwest, shall we say. He told me he does safety audits and that his state regularly use the prepass reports to match driver's logs when doing audits.
    He said it was easy to get log falsification violations this way , and they raise mucho revenue for the state!!:biggrin_2555:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TopShelf

TopShelf Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I heard that prepass didn't release records unless under court order. If what you say is true, I am glad to not have it.

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    yes this is very true! What you and many drivers don't understand is this:

Anything you turn into the company or anything that gives a date/time or just date with a city/state will be matched against your logs. Many companys are just telling drivers to make sure their fuel, DOT inspections and accidents match their log sheets. Well when DOT does an internal audit (company) they will pull ez-pass records, pre-pass etc, tolls, scale, fuel, bills, dispatch records etc. I always say if you scan in a receipt for a cup of cofee and the company keeps that receipt it can be matched to your log sheet.

Listen: DOT's biggest thing is you are in the location you should be, the next is are you logging line 4 when you are working but not driving.

I just went through an internal audit so I know what they are looking for and how "Indiana" is doing it right now

I like to teach drivers what DOT does when they come in for an audit and what they do to you on the road so you have a much better idea.

The whole point is, they will try and find you lieing and hope you are not. If you are lieing you are putting that company at risk for fines or possibly being shut down. Also it puts a red flag up for all dot officers that the company is not being safe with logs etc so they pull you over more (which cost you money as well).

It's all a team effort "drivers" you have to log it as you do it and you won't lose money and won't have any stress due to log books!

Ok I added my ummm log advice :biggrin_25525:

2fuzy, Tazz and possumgravy Thank this.
  5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The companies get receipts that have the time, date, city & state so they have billing proof. The only thing that is not allowed for DOT to look at is qualcom records.

6. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    He might be talking about for tolls, not the one for the scales.

According to there web site they can't even tell how fast you are going between scales.

And there is no time stamp on the bill that is sent to the carrier.So they can't match it to your logs.

7. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    I won't argue with you becouse you know more than I do, but according to there web site they don't send that info.

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know we use pre-pass and I don't get information, but I honestly have not asked for it. I know a long time ago, I seen a bill that had the truck # etc on it. I will double check and ask my boss to make sure. I would think the company would want this information to pay the bill.
    What is their website link so I can read it. Maybe they mean they don't e-mail it to DOT or mail etc????

Debates are always good, I am wrong sometimes:biggrin_25510:

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    CAT scales have times on them!
    He was actually talking about pre-pass though and I am going to find out for sure as long as I remember :).:biggrin_2556:

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    But that can't be!! All the other can drivers are running like PP doesn't exist, so why shouldn't I? :biggrin_2559:

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    From what I can remember, pre-pass was not supposed to be allowed to be used by DOT. Doesn't really matter to me where I work because we don't use it, but that is how I remember it when it came out.

One more reason I prefer small companies that avoid things like this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.