Double Brokered freight, what happens if.....??

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by aj72941, Aug 2, 2022.

1. aj72941

aj72941 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    We move about 120 loads a week and here recently it seems like we get a lot of carriers double brokering freight. We just caught one today; a trusted carrier partner recognized the load as ours and sent us the info they were dispatched, matching ours. We got them on the load and blacklisted the carrier/broker combo that originally booked it.

This same bad carrier had the same "driver" info and did a load a couple weeks ago. It seems the broker part of this combo has bad reviews for non-payment when they've been discovered double brokering and the signature on the BOL does not match the "driver's" info.

My manager does not want to pay the order to the bad carrier, but we cannot find information for the carrier that actually transported the load. The manager said that if we pay the bad carrier and the bad carrier doesn't pay the actual carrier, the actual carrier can come after us or our customer for payment on the order (and we be out having to double pay the order else hurt our relation with the customer). He mentioned something along the lines of "Section 7" but could not elaborate what that means.

I've had loads double brokered to my company. I've contacted the actual broker and they tell me they aren't dealing with it, get the money from the double-brokerer, and I've had them take the double-brokerer off the load and pay us directly.

Has anyone else dealt with this or a similar situation? How did you company handle it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    You have your customer verify the name/number on the truck when it picks up.

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Have you reached out to the receiver and see if they have a sign in sheet.

86scotty Thanks this.
  5. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Either way don't pay the company that double brokered your load unless they provide concrete evidence they paid the actual carrier already. And even then, I would only pay them whatever they paid the actual carrier.

armo and nikmirbre Thank this.
  6. Avrakotos

Avrakotos Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    NEVER PAY THE SHADY DOUBLE BROKERS. THEY CAN CRY ALL THEY WANT, THREATEN ALL THEY WANT, BUT DO NOT PAY THEM UNLESS THEY PROVIDE PROOF THEY PAID THE DELIVERING CARRIER. AND THEN CALL THE DELIVERING CARRIER TO CONFIRM THE MONEY IS IN THE BANK, NOT JUST "WE SENT A CHECK".

nikmirbre and armo Thank this.
  7. Avrakotos

Avrakotos Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2020
    BC

if you are moving 120 loads a week, you better get hip real quick to the scammers who are double brokering freight or your going to lose customers. Most scammers are Armenian and dont even live in USA so its harder to track. Or they are in Delhi, India.

Anyone using a virtual address, has 0 inspections on carrier 411, sound dumb on the phone. If you post loads to DAT, make sure the carrier calling in on your freight has a DAT account. IF they don't, the dude calling is most likely using his broker MC to see your load. Lots of these turds "based" in SoCal - Glendale, Tujunga, North Hollywood, etc. have moved virtual address to other parts of the country. Ive had them call me, book a load, and immediately post it on DAT. I call from cell on DAT posting, hear all my load details, and get a call from the "carrier" who booked my load on DAT asking me all of the same questions. Its comical in a way, but very real consequences when they hit a bridge and total you freight or worse, kill someone on the road.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Is it possible for those "overseas" swindlers - double brokers or dispatch companies - to call me from over there and I would still see their phone numbers appear as domestically registered here?
    Sometimes, they call me, introduce themselves with an Anglo-Saxon first name, even though the name does not agree with how they sound, and after I ask them if they reside in the United States, they say without hesitation, that they do. This is especially true with soliciting dispatch companies.
    Essentialy, I have nothing against any people doing business from within the United States, even though I resent the very nature of their business such us brokers who double broker or dispatch companies but it is extremelly appalling to know that those setups might reside abroad and meddle with already troubled market. Not to mention lack of legal leverage, if those setups are swindlers indeed.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  9. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Yes it's easy to do. Phone over internet technology. More and more American big broker companies hiring people overseas. Why pay $15.00 per hour for night dispatch if in India you can have them for $1.00
    Just yesterday did load for one big broker and call them after hours to verify information, was surprised to speak with India girl who has no idea how it's works and background noise people speaking in Hindi.

armo Thanks this.
  10. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I talked to a travel agent for a brokerage a few weeks ago and heard a woman sobbing in the background. Just odd.

11. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    There are 10X more Indian and Hispanic scammers than Armenians )))) Hispanics are located all over in TX. Indians from India and Cen Cal.
    Every ####en day one of them is calling me and offering a load from NJ to CA for $7000k ))). there are about 20 double brokerage offices in Armenia. I know them very well. also i know offices located in Ukraine, Russia, Uzbekistan, India and Turkey. Something must be done to stop double brokering.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.