Doubles in Florida

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Woodys, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Just curious on the situation. Currently I'm employed at a cdl mill, but honestly I have no complaints with them since it is definitely on of the better mills. I've always been set on going OTR to get my exp and then moving to local. Ive only been OTR for a year, but Im already really interested in running doubles or tanker locally. I know we have Estes and ABF around my hometown in central florida, as for local tankers, I think there's a shell.

Curious in a couple things though. Do any of the big LTL companies run doubles/triples out of florida. From what I've seen they're almost non-existant there. How much exp should I have before applying? Do most specifically train you for LTL or do they just throw you in a seat and expect you to get it done? What is the average amount of hours you work per day, and how many day per week?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Are asking about 28' doubles or 48' doubles? All the freight companies use the 28 footers. Many of the drivers started working on the dock and then moved up when opportunities were available. Most of the freight companies are self insured up to like 100,00.00 per accident, so they take safety seriously. As for tanker jobs, they like to hire experienced drivers and then train for the specific in and outs of the job. The 48' doubles are used only on the Florida Turnpike and again, the experienced drivers with good safety records drive those. No triples are allowed in Florida as far as I know.

4. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Id definitely want to start out on the 28' doubles. I figured it'd be a lot easier to get promoted from within ... but I figure if I have 2yr OTR with no citations and my last job was loading and unloading trucks with pallet jacks/fork lifts, I might have a shot in hell to get hired straight to a driver. If not, ill just work on the docks a little more.

I think my father knows one of the driver managers for estes too. So I could might just slip him a couple abe lincoln's.

5. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    i don't think triples are allowed in Florida. i know UPS runs 48ft doubles on the pike.

6. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Triples are not allow in Florida and most LTL carriers I seen required around 1 to 2 years experience.Most of them required hazmat tho,UPS Fed ex freight required it.Look into your local mail carriers also they pay pretty good,there one here near me that pays around $18.00 hr.

7. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    Experience is not necessarily required, but to get seat time, you're gonna have to put in some time on a toyota forklift at most LTL outfits or run teams...bleh.

Ive been pulling doubles since day one, Had no experience to start out with. Approaching 2 years, so it can be done. Must have hazmat.

8. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Riiight, that's what I hear. Which really I have no problem doing forklift or even floor work, just will have to adjust to the paycut while I climb the ladder.

I'm planning on getting hazmat, doubles, and tanker endorsements before the year is up.

I figured triples weren't allowed as the firs time I've seen mini trains rollin down the istate was when I went OTR. Are most LTL companies auto or manual?

9. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    I dont know what they start at in the south, probably 17ish or 18..dont quote me on that.
    And if you plan to apply for an LTL company like fedexs freight, abf or con-way freight, you better have haz and doubles or your app goes to the trash.

Maybe regional companies live averitt express, southeastern freightlines, wilson trucking run all long boxes and you might not need doubles...not sure, but the test is easy so just knock it out to have all your bases covered.

I know fedex freight is buying alot of auto trans kwoppers.. most others are running manuals.

10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Yea I'm definitely gonna get doubles. Id honestly rather run doubles than anything else. I've heard about a lot of LTL companies installing video cameras to watch their drivers ... any word on this?

11. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    I know con-way is getting them for sure here shortly..havent installed them yet, but its a coming to all ltl's im sure

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.