Drilling/welding Pre-cautions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 7mouths2feed, May 28, 2009.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    We have all seen the warning stickers stating "DO NOT DRILL OR WELD FRAME". However there may come a time when drilling or welding will be required. So the question is------ What pre-cautions must you take to drill or weld the frame? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mack427

Mack427 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Drilling I don't know what you would do other than make sure you wasn't about to drill through a air line or electric wires, welding on new trucks unhook the batteries or it is very possible to smoke ECM'S and other expensive electronics

Baack and 7mouths2feed Thank this.
  4. powernut

powernut Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Iowa
    Avoid welding or drilling into the upper or lower flanges. Also try your best to keep any drilling at least 1.5-2" away from either flange. Sometime's it's tough to do.

jamespmack and 7mouths2feed Thank this.
  5. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had to drill about 8 holes in my frame when I installed my Timbren's, and it was welded when the frame was lengthend. :dontknow: Powernut and Mack both made good points. What size, and how many holes?

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  6. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Nothing at this very moment but I am looking at near future add-ons like extra battery box, full fenders, catwalk , by-pass filter, propane tank mounts, etc. So I am looking for general info.

7. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Just follow what the others have posted here for drilling and you won't have any issues. When ya go to drill use some cutting oil or if ya don't have any use motor oil on the bits.

As for the welding part. You really don't want to be welding on the frame unless you are dang good at welding. The extra heat that the welding puts into the frame could cause some weakness. Throw in more weakness if ya quench the weld with water. Also a welded joint will at as a stress point and will break sooner ot later. Like the others said just unhook you batteries or ya might be buying an new ECM (do this anytime you weld anywhere on the truck).

8. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    wherever possible use existing holes

I just welded on mine the other day and did not unhook the batteries, don't think I'll worry about the ECM on a 3406B though

9. Australian01

Australian01 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2009
    wodonga, victoria
    im no engineer, though its not a career i would turn down, but i have a sneaking suspicion that your frames have these stickers as they have been heat treated to give extra strength. this means that by heating (and then cooling) a particluar area differently to the original treatment you are taking a significant amount of strength from the material. so ideally you would have to strip your chassis, do the required work, stick the whole thing in a dirty big furnace, cool it appropriatly, and then put your running gear/cabin back on... probably best to ask an engineer about any welding/drilling or anything that heats the chassis above the "critical temperature" of 600 and some degrees C as around the weld you get a heat affected zone with significantly less strength
    phew.. sorry for the essay..just got rambling

10. FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY

FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Cincinnati, ohio
    their is nothing wrong with drilling in the frame just stay 1.5 inches away from flanges,, the flanges are the strengh of the frame, try to bolt as much to the frame instead of welding it to the frame.. eveything we do is bolted to the frame, i can't remember us welding anything to a frame except for ground studs

11. Australian01

Australian01 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2009
    wodonga, victoria
    interesting. are the frames heat treated at all?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.