Drive for 8, 9 or 10 hours?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Apr 22, 2018.

1. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    So what's the smarter choice to save on your 70? I used to do 10 hours in a day. Sure it got me the miles but killed my 70.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    It depends on how you want to run. 70 hours by 8 days leaves you an average of 8.75 hours a day to use in total on duty time. If you can balance pick up/delivery times and all the other crap and running recaps is your thing that's what you try to do overall to keep balance.

Or some other variant, whatever it is that works for you personally and keeps you where you need to be when you need to be there.

tinytim Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Your 70 is your 70. How you burn through it really makes no difference in the end. Find what works for you if you have the luxury of not having to always be running to hard and fast appointments far away that dictate how your 70 is burned.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've ran recap hours having to run up to within 30 minutes ofthe 70 for 20+ days just to get the job done, and I really don't care to have to run hard against recap hours but sometimes you have to.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    First time I decided to try that 8.75 hr a day thing, I got put on a load that I needed to run the full 10 hrs(pre 2004) then 8 hr break just to get there on time. Unless you have a dedicated thing it's pretty hard to get that going. I usually run close to the daily limit when on a long load and when I get there, if I can't deliver early, I get some extra rest.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Most of the time I prefer to run as close as possible to the 11 hour limit. I prefer to get the driving done as efficiently (time wise - not necessarily speed wise) as possible, so that in the event I have an issue whether it be a road closed or a mechanical issue I have more time to handle it and hopefully not have to change appointment times.
    About the only time I will begin to slack off and run less hours per day is if I have been on the road for a long enough time I am eventually both mentally and physically exhausted. It helps I schedule my own pickup and delivery times. I have been known to load on a Wednesday for a Monday delivery for my usual ~2200 mile run which I normally do Thursday for Monday or it can even be done Friday for Monday.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Who gets to decide how many hours of driving you do over the next few days? Appointments are set and you try to meet them. It works out however it works out.

9. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    It doesn't matter .

What matters is how you run in that time frame . That's why I constantly run at night .

I drive a 65 mph truck and get on avg 615 miles in the 10 hours,8min pre 8 min post. I Usually tie in the fueling with one of the inspections

Run during the day ? Sometimes I barely hit 550-575 on my full 11 and all that crap adds up and will kill you the next week .

Every min counts when you have a slow truck and elogs!

truadvocate, Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I may be a minority of one. But I think that 70/60 hour clock is a relic from a different time in trucking. The trucks today are so much more easy to drive. I think as long as a driver gets enough rest on that 10 hour break they should be safe for extended runs. As for union shops let them work out weekly hours in their CBAs.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I generally feel the same way but a driver would have to learn how to keep dispatch from running them ragged. If I burn 70 hours in 6 days, I'm probably ready for a day off. That said, being able to only run some ridiculously low number of hours while weather closes in on you is stupid, too. So is waiting on midnight to run to the 08:00 appointment if you're not a night runner by preference.

I could generally run 10 hours day 7 days/wk but at some point, I need to stop for a breather.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    truadvocate Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.