Drive tires - Are Michelins worth it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PermanentTourist, Sep 26, 2022.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    It's that time again. Winter is coming and I need new tires.

I'm almost done wearing out my 2nd set of Continental HDL2 Eco, and I've been happy with these tires. I get close to 250k miles out of them. But these are the only tires I've ever ran as an owner op, other than some very disappointing Yokohamas.

Am I missing out by not going for Michelins? Are they significantly better? My main concerns are fuel efficiency - longevity - ride comfort, in that order.

Should I splurge for the extra $1600 a set? Or should I stick with my continentals?

Vampire and 77fib77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Not really in most cases save on the steer or rear axle of a dump truck. i have run just about everything and honestly the loves premium recaps are the best bang for buck in my experince. They usually last around 80-100K even as a rock truck. I saw a .01 MPG increase over virgin goodyears, they warranty is quite good especially for road damage and they are only $350 bucks a pop. However YMMV

Vampire and Cat sdp Thank this.
  4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I don’t think so. I put 240k miles on a set of galaxy drive tires (truck came with them when I purchased it) and they still had a lot left. They were deep lug looking almost with a solid shoulder. I’m going to spend the extra $ on Bridgestone M713 on this truck. Even if I get 0.5% in fuel savings it will be worth it.

I considered the Michelins but they are worse on fuel mileage. If you get the energy d or whatever it’s called they wear weird towards the end that I’ve seen. I’m going with M713 mostly because I stick to the I-10 corridor. If I did more northern driving during winter time I would do xdn2.

Vampire and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Will realize $1600 in total savings from the small amount of fuel economy or longevity you may see?

6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, that's why I'm dubious. Continentals are already pretty decent brand tires, I'm not about to put Chinese double coin junk or, god forbid, Recaps on my drives - but the extra $200 a pop for the mixhelins is kind of a big ask. There would have to be pretty noticeable and immediate Improvement for me to not regret that purchase.

I do run michelins on my steers though, never cheap out on your steers.

7. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I'm going through Landstar LCAPP discount program, and the Continentals are pretty much the same price as your recaps. LCAPP doesn't cover recaps anyways.

Even if they did, I would never put Recaps on my truck. I've seen what these things do when they blow out, yikes, no thanks.

Vampire and Blu_Ogre Thank this.
  8. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I use Continentals on the drives and Michelins for steers. All OTR with maybe 2% off road while loading. Seems to do the job.

9. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    What is availability of Continentals like on the road if you have a failure?

I ran Yokies cause it seemed every Love's along my normal lanes stocked them.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yokies only lasted me 100k, and they wore super unevenly. Like one side would be bald and the other side would have like 7/32. Bumpy bumpy times until I got rid of them.

Besides, if you are more than like 40k into a tire, you're better off just buying a decent random used tire with matching treadwear? Trying to put in a new tire of the same brand is just going to throw everything off at this point... make everything wear unevenly, mess up the alignment..

Unless you make them grind the tire down to match the others, and at this point you are just paying new tire money for a used tire anyways. And not all shops have that weird machine.

Vampire, MOBee and Jed2009 Thank this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Get BF Goodrich. I love my D454

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.