Drive tires: Michelin XDA2 23 AT retread vs. New Chinese

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by BunkerHill, Apr 19, 2012.

1. BunkerHill

BunkerHill Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Mississippi
    I've read about all the treads I can find on here about retreads, and it seems to be a very debated topic. I've seen here or there that some people prefer a good retread to a new Chinese tire, and that virgin tires fail nearly as often as retreads. I'm new to the long haul game, so I'm hoping to get some more insight on which way is the better way to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

If they are coming from a Michelin Retread Plant go with the CAPS. Sorry you will get Better wear LONGER LIFE and cost will be about the same as the Chinese Virgins. Also you will not be worring about Blowouts from Chinese Crap Tires.

4. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    I just put 8 Michelin retreads (XDA3 casings) on one of my trailers and am happy with them so far. Got them for only $150 each.

EZX1100 Thanks this.
  5. BunkerHill

Apr 19, 2012
    Mississippi
    How can you tell if they come from a Michelin retread plant? There's a TCi near me that I'd planned on going to.

6. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    I run the xda2 or gcr fuel tech D caps for the last 4 yrs and never had a problem.

7. JDP

JDP Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    Gbrown: How do you like the fuel tech's? what kind of mileage are you getting out of them? how's the wear pattern? I've been looking at switching to that cap from the old FCR. We've had very good luck with the FCR for years on our trucks, but the fuel tech has a lot better snow traction. I want to hear your thoughts.

8. k whopper

k whopper Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    milledgeville ga
    did micheln come out with a new retread that you can not tell it from a virgin last year i read in one of my truck books

Cody40691 Thanks this.
  9. BunkerHill

Apr 19, 2012
    Mississippi
    Yes, those are the "custom mold" retreads. I'm pretty interested in those as well... They sell the XDA2 23 retreads in custom mold. Anyone know if they are more expensive than the pre-mold version?

10. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    @JDP, I love the FTD. The snow driving is what suprised me most. I run so cal to the NW most weeks and I never broke traction once. I drive a 03 387 pete with a 6nz cat. I've had the truck and tires for 9 months. Tire wear is smooth and even. My life time fuel mileage is 7.2 running for landstar so loads very(dry box). U can c everything on fuelgauges truck name 1stcat.

11. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Not all Chinese tires are created equal. My trailer take an unusual size (235/75R-17.5, "J" rated) and not everyone makes them. I tried Bridgestones (at about $450 a pop) and would get one to one and a half seasons out of them. Tried Kumho's and got about the same life but at about $340 apiece. Then tried some Hercules (made in China) at about $225 apiece and had two blow apart in the first 2 days. The dealer took them back and gave me a set of Linglong's, same price also made in China and I get 2-3 seasons out of them, double the life of the Bridgstones at half the price. My brother has run Linglong drives on his winch tractor and has had good service out of them. I put a set on one of my Western stars but have yet to run them. The dealer says he sells alot of them and has had good reports coming back.

Adam From Edmonton Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.