Drive tires on the steer axle.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Boundtransport, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Boundtransport

Boundtransport Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2018
    U.S.A.
    I was at location up in Virginia, and the driver had drive tires on his steer axles. I always thought this was a no no. I didn’t ask him about it. Just not to get into a discussion but isn’t that wrong? I mean they looked brand new. What could go wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boundtransport

Nov 1, 2018
    U.S.A.
    I’ve heard of steer tires in the back but never the opposite.

4. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    We’ve used trailer tires on the steers, steer tires on trailers or trailer tires on the drives, drive tires on the steers.

They may wear differently if they were not installed in their intended locations.

That driver likely went to a place that maybe ran out of tires for steers or wanted the deeper tread of the drives.

We did get very long life out of trailer tires on the drives on one tractor but where’s the traction? A little slick, truck was stuck.

Swapped them out with continental drives. So much better.

Only thing that I know of that’s really a no no is recaps on the steers.

I won’t drive a truck with recaps on the steers, too much to go wrong with 80,000 plus pounds.

Boundtransport Thanks this.
  5. Boundtransport

Nov 1, 2018
    U.S.A.
    They looked good lol I imagine he gets hell of a grip on the road. I just never personally seen one. Talked to a buddy of mine over the weekend he said it’s a no for dot.... but idk. I would also imagine it’s shakes the cab pretty good too no?

No recaps on steers that for sure!!!

I’ll look around and ask around to more people if there’s anything wrong with them in the front.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A quick Google search of several different websites indicates that only buses cannot use a recap tire in the steer position. I looked at the FMCSA site and the only mention I could find on prohibited use of recaps is on the steers of a bus. So what's the truth here? I'm curious lol.

Either way I've seen enough caps seperate that I'd avoid caps on the steers anyways.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What about patched? That's illegal on steers isn't it?

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There's one manufacturer that makes an all positions tire.

They put them on my cousins truck. He said it rode and handled like ####.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a no no for a variety of reasons.

Steer axle is a function that is incredibly important. Premium Steer Tires go up there.

One BIG reason it is a button with me is that anyone sticking whatever tire up front is too cheapsake and tight wadded to care about the steer axle and it's importance on the whole rigs safety.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Not sure. Nothing I could dig up in regulations about it. Might have to dig deeper lol.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If we get a steer axle tire with a puncture it usually gets put in the trailer tire rack.
    I don't know if it's illegal or not but it's not a good idea. Just too much that can go wrong. Why take a chance?
    We put repaired steer axle tires on our rock trailers, off road water trucks, and logging dollies. They never go back on a steer axle.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.