Driveaway "On duty not driving" question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SlickLizard, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SlickLizard

SlickLizard Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Warrior, AL I-65, exit 294
    I currently drive for an established driveaway firm, transporting various single trucks (no decks). Upon drop-off of one truck, I normally either fly or take a rental car to the next truck. I was under the impression that, while flying or driving a rental car, I could log off duty. Well, I was told that that may not be the case, that I might have to log "on duty not driving."

Can someone explain whether or not this is true, and why? My dispatcher, who was once a big rig driver herself, informed me that I was to log "off duty" while traveling from one truck to the next, and she quoted the DOT rule related to this, but I can't remember what it was.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    The easy answer is responsibility, you are not responsible for anything while traveling, nor or you operating a commercial motor vehicle, There is no reason to log anything not required, you would just be burning up hours for no reason.

DrtyDiesel and SlickLizard Thank this.
  4. Bill P.

Bill P. Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Medford, OR
    I teach this in my class. The answer lies on what you're going to do after you get off the plane, out of the rental car, or whatever other form of transport you take to get to the next truck. If you're expected to work right after getting off the plane (or whatever) you are to log the time as "on duty/not driving." If you are able to take 10 hours off before starting to work then you can log the flight time as "off duty." This way you are insured of being rested before driving a truck.
    Bill

5. RetiredSarge

RetiredSarge Medium Load Member

I was told that if you take a 10 after your travel (bus, plane,etc) you can log it all as off duty. But you have to take the 10.

Also if you are getting paid while you travel then that can also change things.

SlickLizard Thanks this.
  6. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    Well your teaching it wrong bill p. Just like if i go in the tv room at p/fj while loaded and then i go back to the truck and leave. That can be logged on line 1.

7. Bill P.

Bill P. Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Medford, OR
    Retired Sarge worded it really well. Flatbedn, you're right also, you're off duty in the t.v. room, but that's different than what SlickLard was asking.

8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Depends on the company and how hard they have been hit in the past.. If you are under dispatch (to go get a truck persay) you are under dispatch and legally "on duty" per the rules..

jessegobrowns Thanks this.
  9. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    Bill, that's the way I was instructed also.

Can you find that in the "Green Book" please.

10. Bill P.

Bill P. Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Medford, OR
    It's in the "exceptions" part of the bigger Safety book, where people will ask questions and DOT answers. If you can get ahold of one, look in 395.8. I'm no longer with the company where I was the Compliance Officer. I'm going back out on the road; tired of the politics.

11. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.

taken from 395.2 ~~definitions
    On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:

(1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;
    (2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;
    (3) All driving time as defined in the term driving time;
    (4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than:(i) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in §397.5 of this subchapter;(ii) Time spent resting in a sleeper berth; or(iii) Up to 2 hours riding in the passenger seat of a property-carrying vehicle moving on the highway immediately before or after a period of at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth;
    (5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded;
    (6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;(7) All time spent providing a breath sample or urine specimen, including travel time to and from the collection site, to comply with the random, reasonable suspicion, post-crash, or follow-up testing required by part 382 of this subchapter when directed by a motor carrier;(8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and
    (9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.