DriveAway truck mover companies!

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by aimhigh, Oct 28, 2015.

1. aimhigh

aimhigh Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    TX /USA - Germany -China
    Hello All,
    I am thinking of getting into the drive away side of trucking and would like to get some feedback from those of you whom have actually driven for drive away companies such as Bennett, Quality, Horizon Transport, Truck Movers or Pro Drivers etc?

Thanks & Aim High

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    You hardly hear anything good about these companies on here. I've never worked for one though.

4. PT17guy

PT17guy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I drove for Truckmovers for a year. I quit after spending a day and a half going out to fetch a truck which turned out to be non-roadworthy, and getting $0 for the time and effort I put into it.

Other than that, I thought it was fun, but could scarcely clear $100 a day for my efforts. Plus, it does't count toward TT experience.

One more thing: in order to have the most options, you might need a tow vehicle and hitch equip. That set-up could easily set you back $1,000.

J_FROG Thanks this.
  5. aimhigh

Jan 21, 2011
    TX /USA - Germany -China
    How much was your weekly pay after expense? Were you ever shorted pay by truckmovers? One year was/is quite a long time to invest in a Company and not earn enough weekly to justify your length of time there. Were you ever left stranded? Any info will be appreciated; Thanks

6. PT17guy

PT17guy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    It wasn't full time work, so can't really give a weekly pay amount. But like I said before, clearing $100/day was about as good as I ever saw.

If my pay was ever off, a phone call was about all it took to get it straightened out.

Stranded? I always left myself an out. You have to consider that if you travel to pick up a truck, and the PTI reveals that it's not road-worthy, you're gonna need a "plan B". That is a possibility with new trucks, as well as old. In my case, a new truck had been to a modifier to get a tank/spray system installed. During the course of the installation, they intercept numerous systems in the truck (electrical, air, hydraulics) to install the new gear. When they had "finished", the "Check Engine" light would come on and the modifier declined any responsibility for it. Time for Plan B.

Panamapilot and aimhigh Thank this.
  7. aimhigh

Jan 21, 2011
    TX /USA - Germany -China
    Hey; thank you for the reply! and Aim High

8. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Decent job,

if you're semi/retired.

Took me about 2 years to really get into it. Had a little dodge ram50 and all the hitches.

Worked for biggest outfit in the business,
    till they went under.

Good Luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.