Driver Just Inspected by NY DOT...not accurate, what can we do?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Proxy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    This might sound like a rhetorical question but has anyone have a bad experience with NY DOT before? The guy that just inspected my driver clearly doesn't seem to know much... he cited by driver for improperly using PC at the end of his shift for personal reasons for the reason of "False Report of Drivers Record of Duty Status..." and also cited him for "Driving Beyond 14 Hour Duty Cycle...my driver including PC was less than 12 hours for total and about 9.5 hours driving... the DOT inspector counted the hours he incurred from the previous shift because the ELD's run midnight to midnight so it says 10.5h and he added that to todays log.... 3 of which were from his last log before his 10h reset..... Even if he was the inspector cant prove that he wasn't using it for personal reasons anyways, he printed him off a form explaining "common questions regarding Personal Conveyance" none of the explanations referencing actual law.... Also cited for not having a HUT Permit, the truck has stickers on both sides of the truck from our state and the corresponding permit in the binder that has everything else in it for inspections... am I missing something in regards to NY and this HUT Permit?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They are anal about where the HUT sticker should be placed. It needs to be on the front bumper, right corner (drivers side - or something like that). Can't put it on the side or near the IFTA stickers or it's invalid....

Not sure about the PC, not enough info.

Proxy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    PC seems excessive. I'll leave the maf to someone else.

That permit bag inside the truck should have something in it for everything stuck to the outside of that truck.

5. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    NYS DOT seems to be the most aggressive in the country when it comes to ELD enforcement.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I've always had good luck with level 2's and 3's..over there (Never see em doing a 1)
    These officers seem to be 30 years old or younger- And you can tell they don't have much experience with these inspections-

They see me- Older fella with Gray hair- And its 1-2-3 Done...I Have to ask THEM questions Why they dont ask me certain questions.-

I Know they dont make much

stwik Thanks this.
  7. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    If only they could accurately read the logs...lol, but I will say I do not like having to calculate true driving time between two partial logs (one ending after midnight, followed by 10h reset then starting before midnight and running to the next day) I think all ELD's should be mandated to add a feature to know how many hours driven on each log instead of combining total time in a 24h period, it would have prevented an issue today...

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Pc is not a law or a regulation, there is an interpretation of pc from the fmcsa which screwed everyone and the states make their own rules. If the driver is using it beyond say a 30 mile range or 30 minutes, then it can be construed as trying to side step the Hos. There is a term within the fmcsa statement - reasonable - and the states can define that as they want,

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    3 months ago took me 2 hours to find a safe location to park, I was on PC hell if I care what they think. What are they gonna do bust me down to janitor?

Safety first.

Also I bobtailed in pc to my friends house 2 hours away to do my reset, will that be an issue?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Just guessing that you are confusing IFTA decals with the NY HUT decal..
    You will only have 1 NY Hut sticker and it goes on front bumper..
    Curious what they fined you for no HUT.. Care to share?

S M D, brian991219 and Proxy Thank this.
  11. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    That being said, I guess I can see how you would be able to get picked on a bit depending on who your dealing with, I can see them getting picky about it when someone is actually using it after they have accumulated 11h of driving time and exceeded 14h cycle, but not till then. Its going to interesting watching what happens to all the carriers that haven't have to face this problem since they are still using the AOBRD which is very easy to stay clean with

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.