Driver Shortage? Misery?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chipset35, Jan 7, 2018.

1. chipset35

chipset35 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2017
    If the driver shortage is as bad as reported, then why do new truck drivers go to whatever company that gives a great pitch only to find out that yet another mega carrier is below par for them?
    It would make sense to me that its better to shop around, avoid contracts, and just go to a school and pick what company to work for and apply to after graduation.
    Heck, if a person cannot afford the training, just apply for financial aid at your local workforce office depending on your state.
    Does not make sense to obtain 11-18% interest loans or being bound to a contract for a year to 2 years.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Thioughts?

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    It’s no driver shortage. It’s a shortage of qualified drivers almost 75% of cdl holders never drive again after 12 months of holding a cdl because the conditions that come with gaining the experience to be a “qualified driver” sucks.

4. chipset35

chipset35 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Either way, if you read any of the Carrier Journals all you hear about is how the current conditions are reaching critical mass.

bzinger and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Shopping around is a myth to most people trying to get into the industry. They see ads in the paper or online that ask for between 1 and 3 years experience. The megas say "we'll take you NOW and we'll train you!". Newbie figures 'great! I need at least a year experience to get a decent job. This place wants a 1 year contract, the math seems to work'.

They go to the mega and one of a couple things happen:

They wash out in training or school

They decide that trucking really isn't for them

The mega sours them to trucking

They start job hopping (again figuring the only companies that will take them are megas so the cycle continues until better companies WON'T hire them because of work history)

Or

They complete their contract and either find they like the company and stay, or they move on to greener pastures.

Kyle G., Toomanybikes, Coover and 8 others Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    It’s ignorance of the trucking industry really. When I graduated trucking school from a community college in 2005, I applied for Werner, Ashley Furniture and Trans Am. Ashley Furniture finally called as I was about to take the job with Werner. I was making $6-700 a week in training and up to $1400-$1600 a week solo while being home several times a week and off weekends.
    There are several good companies that hire students and won’t screw you over. The best bet is to go to a community college if you can do it while working, pay the $600 tuition, complete the 8 week course, and then you won’t have to start off in debt. After a year, your options open up vastly.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    There's no shortage of people willing to drive, but there is a shortage of qualified drivers.

There are plenty of drivers who can't pass a drug test, have tons of tickets or accidents, or who have a history of job-hopping or a spotty work history and are thus considered flaky. Not to mention those with no experience who are wondering why nobody is immediately offering them six figures. Plenty of them on this forum, anyway.

As cynical as drivers can be about the "so-called driver shortage," it's a real thing. My company has no shortage of applicants, but 95% of them don't meet hiring standards (which is different from "minimum hiring standards").

The bottom line is the most important thing is to stay clean, protect your license, and be a good worker and you'll always be in demand at the better employers.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Just read more of our forums OP, you'll find lots of sour puss's here.

I can understand where the companies come from as well. It's no minor thing when a driver falls of a load.

There is an old saying " Trucking ain't for sissies." And it's mental toughness that doesn't make you a sissy. Not being a big Baby Huey.

We are rife with Baby Huey's in our industry.

Justrucking2, SingingWolf and shogun Thank this.
  9. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    It's nothing more than the big companies advertising that there is a shortage. About 68% of otr carriers don't like or want someone like me. A well experience driver isn't going to work for low pay. So your so called starter companies and or big companies waving the white flag saying there is a shortage. Only because they want cheap labor.

What seasoned veteran would work for. 32 cpm? If it's under. 47 cpm and the company ain't paying for pre/post trip, fuel ups, load/unload pay, breakdown/shop time then I aint looking to work there. Big companies under bid to get more freight (they gotta try to keep all those trucks runing.)Then they either lower the pay, Or the pay was already low. And they constantly advertise and recruit.

You don't find quality companies advertising in what I call the trucking company liar books at the trk stop. All the companies in those books have high turnover. And some like to use the excuse " We're only hiring because our senior drivers are retiring". B/S ppl are quitting because they can make $450 p/wk at burger king.

10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When I came back from ND with my truck here to Detroit, I was looking for a carrier to lease on with. I called one ad that was close to the house, turned out to be Swift. I talked with the gal, she was very pleasant and flat out told me they were not interested in experienced drivers like myself as the pay sucked and we never stayed. Can't get much more honest than that. It was an interesting conversation to say the least. And no, I was not going to lease on with Swift. ;-)

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't think it's so much about "qualifications" as it is "abilities and natural aptitudes". You can train a monkey to "drive a truck" but to have the stuff to drive a truck well and get the job done day after day and month after month is a whole other matter.

"Getting the job done" requires a whole more than the ability to get a rig onto the interstate and up to speed, mainly a strong work ethic and the ability to work autonomously and without constant supervision, and being able to critically think is where many come up short.

Then you have to get around the fact that many can't get past a basic drug test.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.