Driver shortage real; at least in Alberta

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by uncleal13, Mar 23, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    As a guy who started driving class one not too long ago, you have to look at what companies are hiring new drivers out of driving school. Basically my choices in Calgary were Bison/Heyl/TransX, and that's about it. I did Heyl for a month, and I figured out right away what kind of scam slave show that was. I went over to TransX (you will Team for 2 years on contract) , listened to their BS for about an hour and left. Down the street to Bison, was driving 4 days later. After a year and some there, I questioned why I even got a class one. Working for a Power Only Contractor now, and was doing well, before they went stupid and bankrupt. Starting with an LTL company, that I hope will be my long term home. Its been an interesting journey, but that introduction to trucking and the first year was some kinda ####ty.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    When I started you had to do a few years of straight truck doing city P&D before they would let you out on the big road with a real truck. This way we learned how to load a truck, what happened when you didn’t do it right, plus when there was a screw up, it wasn’t so expensive. Basically an apprenticeship program.
    Now no company wants to train anyone, then complains there is no experienced drivers.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd be willing to jump in a truck part time. Need something to do on my days off lol.

Oxbow and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    mikedrop.gif

BigHossVolvo and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    People get in fist fights, for a City P&D job these days. All these truckload companies care about now, is getting "slaves" to drive OTR for them. The first place they send new recruits? Hwy 1/3/5 Calgary to Vancouver. Bison's turnover is 105%, so everyone who gets hired quits, along with 1 trainer (no one I started with or know is still there, incliding my ICI) Now their installing driver facing camera's, lane keeping assist, and more advanced "driver utilization software" on the ELD's. They are already limited too 62mph, have front facing radars, and monitor all events in real time. But yet they cry and cry there is a shortage.......oh and slip seat everything, even the assigned units with a guys stuff in it.

Zeviander, dunchues and uncleal13 Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well you have all the rules to comply with from DOT.
    You have all the things to look after on the truck.
    You have all the rules of the road.
    Now we're all tethered to an electronic leash ( I'm guessing Oh Canada is as well ).
    News story everyday how OTTO is coming to replace everyone.
    What, ten or twelve thousand investment for school now?

You'd have to be out of your mind to get into truck driving.

Add 1 or 2 mistakes, and poof, you're unhirable.

And you have to be like pure as the driven snow to get into Oh Canada in a big truck as well.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    You know your country has almost the same rules on entry for Canadians, right?

crankit2152 Thanks this.
  9. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Exactly! We make peanuts. 70k a year seems good until you realize it's for 70 h a week so basically for 2 jobs. And where is the pay for not sleeping at home???
    F it!!! 5 more weeks of this crap for me!

10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Chip haulers around here always hiring and many of those are only a 40 week, if you are real ambitious some are a 60 hour week. Gawd some of the idiots they end up with:eek:

magoo68 Thanks this.
  11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Saw one of the idiots near shabaqua layed over chips everywhere last week

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.