Driver shot to death by another driver at Pacific, MO Pilot

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by DTP, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you pick the fight, stand your ground laws do not apply because you are the aggressor. You cannot claim self defense, because you instigated the fight. You are the reason the fight happened.

What I'm talking about is if I am just going about my business and you approach me looking for trouble. I wasn't looking for a fight, and I wasn't asking for one. I have ZERO desire to fight ANYBODY, but there you are in my face wishing to do physical harm to me. At that point, I am under no obligation to turn tail and run. I'll try to talk you out of wanting to fight me, but if you insist on a fight, I'll end you.

Big difference.

lilillill and jethro712 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    My hunch is that this guy is in big trouble and his life just took a turn for the worse. A parking lot squabble is probably not ever going to be a legitimate use of deadly force.

4. tax

tax Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I have been this earth for while I yet to have some come to looking for fight for no reason. You look for trouble you will find trouble. No one said run, all you get to do walk away they step to you. do what you get to do. Also no man is stupid enough to run to man with gun let him know you are not playing. Cowards think they have gun they can mouth off those are the people I was talking earliest post.

jethro712 Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    By the time I alert you to the fact that I'm armed, I've already determined that you are disinterested in finding a peaceful resolution. There will be a loud "bang" shortly after I clear leather. I'm not going to give you the chance to leave, then make a fraudulent report of a man threatening you with a gun. Been there, done that. I was at a party when a fool was asked to leave. He proceeded to pull a knife and step up to my gf at the time...so I pulled out my knife and got between them. He left, hitting my gf's best friend's car in his haste. We reported the hit & run, and he claimed he was threatened with a knife and was in fear for his safety (conveniently leaving out the fact that HE was the one who first produced a weapon AND threatened a GIRL with it). Needless to say, it was "he said/she said" despite there being 30+ witnesses against his word. Screw that. Dead men tell no tales. If it becomes necessary to make it known that I'm carrying in order to avoid having to fight you, I'll be squeezing that trigger. Otherwise, concealed carry means just that. You won't know I've got that ace up my sleeve while I'm attempting to talk you out of wanting to fight me. I don't go looking for fights, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared to defend myself. You don't go out trying to set your truck on fire, but you carry a fire extinguisher. You don't go out trying to break down, but you still carry triangles, tools, and a phone. Usually you go about your business without thinking about these tools...until you need them. Same with a gun. It doesn't mean you should act any differently...and if anything, you try extra hard to talk your way out of a situation...but push comes to shove, you do what you have to do to stay safe.

6. tax

tax Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2013
    i leave mine at home, I never worry about idiot looking for reason to shoot some one. I have respect For human life and if i ever use mine it will be tragedy for every body. Watch local tv, all you see idiots taking life for no reason it destroy their life and countless others. cowerdies are growing this country they run their mouth a mile but cannot used their hands or get beating so they run to weapon and later cry The other was I attacking them. Using your weapon should be your last resource not first one.

7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    The Pilot does have a lot of cameras, hopefully they will help with the truth.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Authorities said a man was acting in self-defense when he shot and killed another man at a Pacific truck stop Wednesday.

Franklin County Prosecutor Bob Parks told The Missourian that a 51-year-old Kentucky man was attacked before firing a gun at a West Virginia man, at the Pilot Travel Center at 1475 Thornton St.

“There was video from the truck stop and a witness who verified the shooter’s statement that (the gunshot victim) came up and pushed him, and he defended himself,” Parks said.

Bryan Tackett, 50, Hamlin, W.Va., was transported by Meramec Ambulance to Mercy Hospital Washington following the shooting. He later died from the injuries.

Police have not identified the shooter. According to Pacific police both men were truck drivers and the altercation may have begun on Interstate 44.

The shooter was taken into custody but has been released.
    /quote
    http://www.emissourian.com/local_ne...cle_0deab0c2-f511-11e6-b78e-5715f630218d.html

Nostalgic and tucker Thank this.
  9. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    Mo has been a bit stressed if you ask me. Very morbid/edgy place. I tend to stick to business there. They've been in the news often the past few years; Am I the only one not surprised?

10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Thanks @tinytim

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I see no good reason to subject myself to a potential beating just because some hot-head insists upon picking a fight with me. I have no desire to fight. I don't go out looking for them, and do my best to steer clear. I do, however, have EVERY intention of making it home again. I have all the respect in the world for MY life, and MY safety. I even have tons of respect for the lives and safety of others who are just going about their business and not looking for trouble. If you're attempting to harm me, I have no respect for you or your life because you are going out of your way to demonstrate your lack of respect me and for my life. The second to the last thing I want to do is shoot someone. The last thing I want to do get hurt or killed fighting someone on their terms. You want to fight, I don't. So I'll end it quickly by whatever means necessary.

Fighting doesn't make you more of a man. Shooting someone attempting to harm you doesn't make you less of one. It is what it is. Simple solution is for everyone to go about their own business and not go sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong. Mind your manners. Be polite. And if you run across someone hell-bent on fighting you, and they leave you no other option, end them. Walk softly and carry a big stick. Do what you have to do to get home to your family, because in the end that is all that really matters.

jethro712 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.