DRIVER WAGES BACK IN THE DAY

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bradd, Sep 22, 2018.

1. bradd

bradd Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I was talking to one of the local guys (He has a lot of experience doing OTR, Dryvan, Reefer, Flatbed, Step, etc) in the yard and he started talking about the wages they made back in the day. He's about 75 and started driving sometime in the 70's.

He mentioned that he made 24 cents as a driver (not lease op or owner op)

A cup of coffee in those days averaged about 25 Cents (according to him).

(Average) 11K Miles X0.24 =2640, 2640/0.25= 10560 Cups of Coffee

Average Cup of coffee costs 1.50, I currently make 45 Cents as a driver.

(Average) 11K Miles X0.45= 4950, 4950/1.50= 3300 Cups of Coffee

10560/3300= 3.2

In today's dollars that would be $15,840 as a driver doing 11 K Miles (not lease op or owner op) .

DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT???

77fib77 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Before deregulation freight paid a lot more to ship. You couldn't just open a trucking business. You had to prove a need for shipping between City A and City B, and wait for approval from the Interstate Commerce Commision before you could haul that freight. Driver pay was much better because the customers were getting screwed royally to move freight. They had little choice of which trucking company to use. Deregulation was meant to give customers choice about which company and how much they wanted to pay. It worked, just like airline deregulation broke open the airline industry and made it possible to pay $189 to fly from NYC to LA.

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Driver' pay was much better? Yes!
    The customer was getting screwed? No!!
    Everybody' pay was better, hell back then a person could live on a 40 hour minimum wage job.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I couldn't live on minimum wage back then. Maybe on the east cost where living seems to be much cheaper then the west coast.

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Back in the 60's, my parents had a 3 bedroom home built (in 1959) on a FHA loan, daddy was a barber & brought home about $35 - $40 per week, had about 10 acres of cotton farmed by a neighbor on a fourth which paid the fall note on the house. Momma was a house wife & they raised 3 boys. All on about $2150 per year. Granted, we raised our own beef, pork, chicken, eggs, cows for milk & a huge garden. But they still built a house, bought what few groceries we needed, a car note & insurance etc. Bought school supplies & clothes for 3 boys, etc.... all on about $2150 per year..... yes... a year.

Those days were a lot different. I remember every Saturday, they went to the grocery store after daddy got off work at 8 pm or so. They'd spend maybe $10 - $15 on groceries & that always included a 3 pack of Cracker Jacks for us boys for 15 cents (5 cents per box). That was our treat for the week.

School lunches were 75 cents for the week. Daddy would give us a dollar each. 75 cents for lunch & a nickel a day for either a coke or a bar of candy per day at school.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    booley, Mototom, bottomdumpin and 8 others Thank this.
  7. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    How old are you?

Grumppy Thanks this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    At Matlack in 1996, I was getting 29 cpm for chem tanker, which was pretty competitive.

About a year later, IIRC, it was JB Hunt was advertising 50 cpm. I think there were lots of conditions on it. Same with Heartland Express, who advertised something like "up to 55 cpm"

Maybe someone with a better memory can confirm or deny.

I stayed at 29 cpm with Matlack 'til 1998. CPM didn't change, but our accessorials went up a little, and that was our true moneymaker anyway.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's even worse if you look at the standard of measurement.
    In December 1971, the "Smithsonian Agreement" was reached. In this agreement, the dollar was devalued from $35 per troy ounce of gold to $38. Other countries' currencies appreciated. However, gold convertibility did not resume. In October 1973, the price was raised to $42.22. Once again, the devaluation was insufficient. Within two weeks of the second devaluation the dollar was left to float. The $42.22 par value was made official in September 1973, long after it had been abandoned in practice. In October 1976, the government officially changed the definition of the dollar; references to gold were removed from statutes. From this point, the international monetary system was made of pure fiat money.
    Today, the Gold Price per Ounce has increased 3328% to $1200.50.
    At $5.00 an hour multiplied by 60 hours per week in 1971, that's about $350.00 per week or 10 ounces of gold per week.
    Since the dollar has lost 98% of its value, we would need to earn about
    $
    12,000.00 per week to buy the same amount of gold today.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I am 59. I was born in '59. I am the youngest of 3 children.
    I got my Chauffeurs Licence (now CDL) in 1982 when I was 22.
    I have been driving for 31 years (I was out of a truck for a couple of years) .

booley, Joetro, Wargames and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Is your name Patches?

Sirscrapntruckalot and dunchues Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.