Driverless trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brandonsupramkv, Nov 17, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    3,500 lb car shouldn't be driving itself either.......

D.Tibbitt and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes, not only that, you need to understand you are facing other issues, one is you may not be able to drive a truck.

4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Call me a Luddite it I just don’t see it happening. So many things to wrong and when it does the public outcry will get them shutdown. Many people including a lot of politicians are strongly opposed to this already for a myriad of reasons. There are a ton of truck drivers in this country. It is one of the better paying jobs that a person without a higher education can do, The societal impact of putting these drivers out of work would be huge.

D.Tibbitt and Cdubb Thank this.
  5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Of course it will happen...... some day. Let's say, realistically, it will take 25 years to replace half the jobs (I personally think it will be a little slower than that).

So, in 25 years, we lose half the commercial truck driving jobs. Contrast that with the annual % of drivers exiting this career --- 30%? 50%? So the annual number of jobs lost in 25 years will be something like 3% of the natural turn over rate in the industry.

Big whoop.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As I’ve said in the other countless threads that have appeared on this subject, in the LTL sector for example they MAY at some point be able to replace the linehaul drivers. They won’t be able to replace the city drivers.

In order for some driverless truck hogwash to be feasble, it can only be between terminals or drop yards. You’ll still need human hands to actually do the pickups and deliveries.

Cdubb Thanks this.
  7. brandonsupramkv

brandonsupramkv Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Hello everyone , My name is Brandon and one day I hope to be a truck driver just like all of you.
    I truly admire what you guys do I think it's incredible.

My grandfather and dad are both teamsters and enjoy the work they do.

I'm about to be finished with school so I can move on to other things.

Recently on this subreddit I have seen countless stories about self driving trucks. Also online there are articles saying this technology is going to displace millions of people.

This seriously worries me because I am still extremely young and want to do this until I can retire ( I'm 18 )

I have been studying to get my CDL.

My teachers have told me this is a bad idea due to new technology.

And what do you think the likelihood would be of the government regulating this technology to still require a driver 100% of the time?

Is this something I should worry about?

I have absolutely no desire to sit behind a desk and write code for 8 hours a day.

Please help me decide what is the right thing to do I feel completely lost.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Fully driverless trucks will happen eventually for sure but I’d venture to guess in reality you could be telling your 18 year old grandchild to stay out of the industry because of auto trucks. Driver assist/auto pilot will be around this decade I bet but it still requires the human element. If you retired at 65 in 2067(ish) I doubt you will be unable to find work as a driver due to driverless trucks even in the end of your career. While I think there will be driverless trucks by then and they will be a pretty regular sight there’s just so many different types of trucking jobs.

IMO driverless trucks will eventually over run the long haul drivers and human operated coast to coast runs will be a thing of the past. But I can’t see them taking over for city drivers, LTL, Agricultural, delivery route drivers (Pepsi, Budweiser etc.), tankers or dump trailers. Lots of jobs there and by the time you’d have to worry about those getting taken over you probably won’t be worry about much of anything. Might be a concern for your grandchild but not you.

And even if it does happen not every carrier will be willing or able to make the switch. Just like when steam ships came out and sailing ships became obsolete, sail power still stuck around for almost a century in commercial service. Then when Diesel engines came about steam stuck around almost a century. This is no different, from the time it’s introduced it will take a century or more to make drivers obsolete and even then only in certain types of driving.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Judge Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't worry about self-driving trucks; there will always be a need for truck drivers.
    By the way, many drivers on this forum were once coders until the jobs were outsourced
    to cheaper labor.
    `
    Where is your location; state and nearest city/town.
    Maybe some drivers on this forum from your area and can give you some job leads.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I can't wait to see these self driving vehicle manufacturers sued into oblivion when they inevitably cause a wreck.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.