Drivers in the UK have all of the same problems we do

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, May 8, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive held a CDL (In those days Class A in my state and country prior to the 1991 cdl laws) and it would probably have been allowed if my visa visit was stamped able to work. But no. The visa they stamped on my passport at heathrow customs said I can stay 6 months for holiday but not allowed to work.

I still made a few pounds off the Crown in gambling near the mildenhall base on occasion. So there is that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Julian85

Julian85 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Lol. Some of the comms are funny. 1st... london is at least twice as rest of uk. Second. You can earn nice money. (Comparing with lifestyle) as tourist uk is very expensive. But if you live there. I find it cheaper than mkst of eu countries.
    I worked for few years. As truck driver. For DHL automotive. Contracting JLR site (jaguar land rover plant)
    10 hrs a day as average... and maybe 50 miles a day driving

4. Julian85

Julian85 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Amsterdam
    London is at least twice more expensive as rest of uk*

5. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    I came over here 6 years ago. No way I could go back to the UK and drive after being here. The problem over there started when all the borders were opened up and you got all the Eastern European drivers willing to doubleman (team drive) and stay away for 4 months at a time. That was the start of the decline over there. There's still plenty of good paying jobs over there, but I wouldn't be able to handle the traffic and the slower speeds. I'll stay out West thanks. I used to put in about £120 a week in parking fees! Sure it'd be more than that now.

Prof.Gringo and austinmike Thank this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    No doubt the wave of immigrants in UK will be taking truck driving jobs at a lower pay scale, same as they immigrants have been doing here for decades. Only a matter of time before the standard CPM is .30 and all women and immigrants steering the trucks. No longer is trucking the way it was 30 years ago. Now its just a ####ing job any idiot can qualify for.

7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Driving on the left?

Texas_hwy_287 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    In Europe it's not legal to pay per mile, and with the lower speed average due to heavier traffic and lower speed limits it would never work. Pay is almost always hourly with overtime over 40 or 45. (Or 35 in France). Sometimes you run across a salary gig but its not common.
    Everywhere has a minimum wage now so there's a limit how low a rate can go but the rates haven't really gone up (like here) as there's so many new boys (like here) keeping them held back.
    It's sort of very different and very similar to here but at the same time. If you see what I mean!

9. lynchy

lynchy Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2010
    off the grid
    I'm in uk ,work in rail construction but interested in 'waggins' lol hence on here,congestion big problem,trying to drive round major cities in day is a nightmare,parking restrictions and generally people not looking out for each other.
    Tacho records drivers hours strictly enforced,firm recently caught for ad blue delete,lost licence to operate,lots of lower cost competition,lay by parking spots filled with European trucks,usually driven by east European guys being exploited by big firms.
    No where near the number of owner ops,only one or two lease to buy,nothing like the leasing you guys have,.

dunchues and krupa530 Thank this.
  10. Julian85

Julian85 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Just to bare in mind... with all "estern europeans" going to UK... it still has a deficit of at least 50k drivers. And "pay per kilometer" IS ILLEGAL in EU. You are only allowed to be paid like that if you work as "self employed" or if you have a company.
    And just FYI. In uk rates did not dropped because of theose "eastern european". They just did not went up because greedy companies. Transport industry went up alot after 2007. Economy went up because of those "eastern europeans". Pls look for facts. Statistics. Official notes from government..etc... befor you state something unreal.

dunchues Thanks this.
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I wish anyone good luck in finding drivers.
    Nobody wants the job anymore.
    And the East Europeans.........look at them.
    Nearly all are 40+ y old.
    Some 30+y but rare.
    If you think there is now a driver shortage.......wait 10 y , then you will see a real shortage.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.