Drivers Lucky To Be Alive

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Jan 5, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    No, calm down, I say baloney because the damage sustained to the copper truck usually comes from running into the back of a stopped semi. How is the pipe going go backwards destroying the truck behind if the flatbed hit the brakes? You'd think the pipe would go through the flatbeds tractor. I said Sherlock as a joke to the authorities, when it seems simple to me. Did they find the mystery car that supposedly caused this.? That's one of the oldest excuses, a car cut me off. The driver is truly lucky. I wouldn't say a passenger would have made it. I see the solid white line, wide shoulder maybe? I just think the flatbed was stopped, copper truck wasn't paying attention, and makes up some hoaky excuse , that's all. Looks like they may have saw it at the last second, veering slightly to the left, thereby saving this drivers life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately. In most transportation scenarios, the larger vehicle has the right of way by law. Smaller boat hits a big ship? It's the small boat's fault. Small aircraft hits a jumbo jet? It's the small aircraft's fault. Train hits a truck at a rail crossing? It's the truck's fault. It's because the smaller vehicle is generally more maneuverable and so the understanding is that the little vehicles stay out of the way of the big vehicles.

Trucks and cars are the only reverse of this, that I can think of. (Maybe pedestrians in some jurisdictions, but not really -- I know someone who got thrown 30 feet by a speeding car driven by a texting Chinese student and was convicted of jaywalking, even though she was in the crosswalk.)

What would it take to make this common-sense change? Car drivers are presumed to be at fault when they collide with a truck unless there's good evidence otherwise. I know you all are probably going to tell me I'm crazy to even think it, but why? Doesn't it make perfectly good sense in your experience, both as a truck driver and as a car driver?

Cattleman84 and cjb logistics Thank this.
  4. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    What about Mrs.Huson then?

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  5. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nope just an amateur

6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I had a guy drive under the 65ft.beams on my flatbed.The beams went halfway across his hood through his windshield.I watched the glass implode,and the roof flipped around in mid air and feel to the road where he impacted.I got out of the truck and ran about 100yds. down the road expecting to see a headless body. Instead What I saw was an old red faced man with a beer in his hand and a big knot on his head where the roof hit him. All that was left on the top of his Ford Ranger was the driverside window glass and door frame.He just looked at me and drunk as hell said,"were the hell were the lights on those beams".Man was I happy to see him.And that's just the middle of that story.I call it my load from hell.It took 3days to deliver a load that shoulda taken10hrs.,and the repercussions lasted weeks.Trucking,gotta love it.

Bud A. and 201 Thank this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    These trucks are on/in an exit lane.
    A car cutting off the flat bed could be true.
    The copper color truck seems to have been following too close for conditions.

201 and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  8. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Slick road abs,too much speed,whammo!He might have walked away,but he'll be sore as hell in the mornin',eh Sherlock.

9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    So, uh, where were the lights on those beams? ;)

10. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    The only thing left was the angle iron and screws that held them to it.He literally drove right thru them.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.