Drivers Reviews / Frozen Food Express

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by pigsooie, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pigsooie

pigsooie Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2013
    After 10 years of out of service. I went with FFE's refresher school just to get back into driving again. Biggest mistake I ever made. To make this short, the 5 months I was with FFE it was a living nightmare. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] I tried US Express I failed there duck walk DOT test. So I joined (PTL) Paschall Truck Lines with less than 6 months verifiable experience even knowing I will owe monies to FFE for the training. The starting mileage pay at PTL sure makes up for it. Beware PTL is a No BS Company. Home bodies and whiners not need to apply. PTL has a new pay package up to .46 a mile. (Call a recruiter today)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Why do you keep saying the same stuff over and over again? Everyone knows you don't like FFE. Move on dude.

4. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
  5. pigsooie

Jan 25, 2013
    1st amendment brother!!!
    images-1.jpeg :biggrin_25514:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. pigsooie

Jan 25, 2013
    FFE’s New Training Course.
    Typical FFE Driver.jpg

7. pigsooie

Jan 25, 2013
    Smile You on Candid Camera!
    From D Camera 001.jpg

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    What's funny is someone who claims they have 16 yrs exp going to a training wheel outfit....

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  9. pigsooie

Jan 25, 2013
    Replie to drvrtech77: Kind of looks that way don’t it. I had to do a refresher course after being out of service for 10 years.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We ran with FFE back prior to 9/11, as a Husband Wife Team. I have nothing but good experiences with FFE. At the time, you needed to write everything you are dispatched on on a journal complete with trip numbers and copies of all your reciepts, interchange etc. That way when payday rolls around and you are missing a trip, you can show it all to any driver manager and they will make good your pay on the spot.

Now.

We ran the rockies mostly. Alot of the USA particularly a stint hauling JIT between Avenel NJ to FFE in LA twice a week. (7000+ miles on the ground, pay miles were a bit less) We carried about a thousand pounds of food, fluids and toilet etc all required by two people for one month, stopping only to get fuel and dispatch papers. We had a inverter installed with co permission at Freightliner in Armarillo on our own cost to defray further costs associated with coffee stops etc. Ultimately for both of us, our costs was round 650 a month for everything consumed every 4 weeks. We ran 220,000 miles in 9 months and a few weeks with a brand new Freightliner Century of 1998 model. The truck gained about 7600 hours in 310 days on the detroit without trouble. We got oil changed twice a month, got towed twice for transmission software issues (Auto, one of the first in those days) and once suffered a failed alternator which was replaced in a few hours.

Then...

Most of our running was rescuing single drivers who were late on loads. We would roll hours to intercept them against our Governor. FFE Policy was 67 for non prez fleet trucks (70) and our Laptop with satellite GPS combined with communications contacts for ALL brokers, ALL businesses (Who the hell gave you THIS NUMBER? lol) revealed a private 63 mph setting which is not given out publicly. We were having trouble maintaining 50 mph avg (Fleet Avg is 45, our realistic load planning gave 35 mph avg to combat delays up to three days for meat loading in places like Fort Collins...) Most of the singles we took loads from caused them to lose pay and in several cases get them routed back home because they are responsible to face firing or other action on their personal failure to be on time. But accounts were saved and the frozen freight rolls.

One of the best ever gravy loads for us is running out of Memphis McKesson. Show up at a mail box. Pick a load envelope. Hook to a million plus dollar unmarked trailer and go. We had one of those at Detroit when 9-11 happened that morning. We took refuge below detroit on a hilltop interchange for a few hours until it became clear there would be no further attacks. Delivered our load, picked up a reload at the same facility going to Conn for the day after. We crossed the GWB witnessing the burning piles at 9:30 that night. Delivered and came back across GWB no problem knowing we will not be back. The GW was a bridge I started crossing regularly delivering into Hunts Point several times a week way back in the late 80's running the older rigs which have a special place in my heart.

Now.

The People in FFE are good. But deal with so many people coming and going each week. Not everyone will get hired. Bring 1000 dollars for your keep so that you don't borrow comchecks against your pay. Stay clean and eat well watch the weather at all times. Your dallas sunshine might be donners on chain in a few days after crossing raton and esienhower in 3 feet of snow battle. Or fighting the Continential Divide crossing in Montana 3 days due to Boston from seattle on ice. You gotta stamina and run well. Mind your hours.

You will be passed around from dispatch to dispatch. Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake, Chicago (In particular) LA, Jersey etc. All of them will have something to say about your work every day with FFE. Serve them well. Be honest and up front with them no language or yelling. They don't wanna hear it. And will cast you loose to another dispatch center to be gone and good riddance. And then you wonder what happened to the miles? Never refuse a load without a very, good reason. Whining about hunts point, south chicago market or skid row LA are not excuses. You are a driver. Suck it up, be aware of threats against you and your cargo and keep that left door shut. If you don't do it, there are 50 more filling Orientation on monday ready to get inside YOUR tractor.

Now... One last thing.

Why did we leave? Well... Other companies found our Husband wife team services much more valuable in pay, bonus and especially above all paying via qualcomm direct deposit direct to bank with a comcheck option when that 5th wheel clanks onto a load followed by the beep with your pay, taxes and deductions to the penny. THAT was what drew us away from FFE.

I do not drive now. My body and that of my wife broke down over the years until I lost my sight to cataract around 2009 and revealed sufficent bone loss to threaten the ability to lump, slide tandems, pull king pins etc. All the goodies that go with trucking. No regrets. I have my sight back and you can be sure I examine everyone on 18 wheels where I live especially the reefer fuel tank level (Cannot help it, always fill the #### thing at half full.. right? RIGHT?) and wrapped flatbed presents and every chain, bind and strap. I cannot help but inspect closely. Most of the time you all do well. Keep it up.

A word to you young ones. Maybe on a visa or from over seas. You are inheriting an American way of life, one that is not for everyone. So suck it up, shut up and do what you are told. Learn to run your 70 hours, log it properly and do your best without whining. If you cannot do it, don't continue. And above all do not be stupid. Every time I see a lost truck because you did not take a few moments to chain on Cabbage or Donner is a monumental insult, slap in my face and our collective Industry professionalsm. NO one else in the world do what we do since the war years. It is a way of life to serve the People because America stops if the trucks stop. Do it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Jakethebrake99 and CALLEN Thank this.
  11. Prntsgnmn

Prntsgnmn Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2022
    I’m about to confirm my orientation schedule with FFE, you guys are scaring me they offered $23 per hour regional runs and go,e multiple times a week and off every week end. Is all this true?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.