Drivers who have no house, apartment, car, or family: how much money have you saved?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PowerOfSolitude, May 19, 2012.

1. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    if we could all do that we would
    i would perfer not to run a "honey wagon"
    but I am glad someone comes and empty's the septic tank

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jhavens

jhavens Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    dekalb il
    just because we have families does not mean we dont deserve to make enough to support them and if you choose someday to have a family you will understand right now it sounds like your to selfish and wet behind the ears to understand the real meaning of life!!

RickG Thanks this.
  4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    To the original poster,

Sounds like you are in a good position to be an over the road driver. That is really about the most ideal way to go about it. Take it one step at a time though. Do your schooling and make sure you have a chosen a company that you think will best suit YOU. The next step will be to go out for a month or so with a trainer. After your training you will be issued a truck and dispatcher and your career is now in your hands! Make sure to give it a good 3-4 months out there before you make any decision to sell the house or give all your stuff away. It usually take this long before you are comfortable out there and before you start making some money.

One of the biggest keys to making money in this industry is if you have the ability to stay out. Not having to go home all the time is a huge factor in making good money. Every time you go home it can mess up your pay for three weeks! Also depending on where you live it can put you out of the freight lanes that you worked so hard to get into. Once you stumble upon a good freight lane you really want to roll with it as long as you can. If you are running hard and the freight is really good, you absolutely don't want to get off the ramp and go home! It could take awhile before you can get back in that flow or find another good roll like that!

Also dispatchers love drivers that don't have to go home all the time! It is a big pain in the butt for a dispatcher to plan for a driver to get home! Especially when they are in charge of 150+ drivers! The drivers that aren't a pain in the butt are highly appreciated. This alone will increase your mileage and good runs!

You will still have plenty of down time and days off and time to screw around. You maybe at the beach or in the mountains when its time to take a few days and you could go skiing or surfing and get a nice little hotel room or something. No matter how much money you want to make and how hard you are willing to work you still need to take a little refresher every once and awhile. This resets your clock and makes you look forward to making more miles and money!

Good luck man!

5. kloy

kloy Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2010
    AZ
    I'm trying to get some idea of what's possible for a new driver with minimal expenses who fully commits himself to trucking as a lifestyle. The main appeal of trucking for me is separation from society, not money, but money never hurts.[/QUOTE]

I llike how u are interested in driving to be away from society. This too is one of my tops reason for choosing to drive. getting away while getting somewhere, love it. Yea you'll have to deal with peeps but mostly job related and also if ya don't wanna talk with someone, u don't have to....how much money u save is all on u. Get good cooking supplies and cook ur own food. Spend ur time on books, research, workout, think, music, etc. Keep it real and save all u can and after a few years u should be better off. Time out here goes by fast, really fast. So mind as well do ur time, save up and enjoy what comes next. And if anything happens u always got driving to fall back on....

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I llike how u are interested in driving to be away from society. This too is one of my tops reason for choosing to drive. getting away while getting somewhere, love it. Yea you'll have to deal with peeps but mostly job related and also if ya don't wanna talk with someone, u don't have to....how much money u save is all on u. Get good cooking supplies and cook ur own food. Spend ur time on books, research, workout, think, music, etc. Keep it real and save all u can and after a few years u should be better off. Time out here goes by fast, really fast. So mind as well do ur time, save up and enjoy what comes next. And if anything happens u always got driving to fall back on....[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true rookie . "Drivers" not interested in the money won't make any money because dispatchers will be giving the miles to the drivers who money does matter to and are crying for miles . Time doesn't go very fast sitting around truckstops .
    No , you don't have to talk to people with an attitude like shippers , receivers , repair people , DOT inspectors , etc .
    Always have driving to fall back on ? Maybe after paying for a refresher course if nobody gave you a negative DAC when you decided to leave .

7. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    You mean 11 days out in a row? I have been out for 3 months straight by choice. I buy new clothes while I am out.

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Petoskey, Mi
    I like living OTR and some days cannot believe I get paid to do it. My hometime is spent in Vegas, San Antonio (Riverwalk baby!), or anywhere else I like to hang for a reset. My family is like fish... not so fresh after a day or two...

9. kloy

kloy Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2010
    AZ
    Spoken like a true rookie . "Drivers" not interested in the money won't make any money because dispatchers will be giving the miles to the drivers who money does matter to and are crying for miles . Time doesn't go very fast sitting around truckstops .
    No , you don't have to talk to people with an attitude like shippers , receivers , repair people , DOT inspectors , etc .
    Always have driving to fall back on ? Maybe after paying for a refresher course if nobody gave you a negative DAC when you decided to leave .[/QUOTE]

The hell u takin bout. Did i say anything bout just sitting or not in it for the money? Its obvious time goes by fast if u working as much as u can...im thinking the dude isn't super serious bout driving cuz he would be out here already, so that's why i said drive, save up and do whatever next. And have somethin to fall back on cuz this is a good career. No need to quote somethin that i didn't say in my post that's right up there^^

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. Scape07

Scape07 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Texas
    Actually, you don't deserve anything in life. I, and many people I know, have college degrees and don't make enough to support a family. I made the choice to not get a degree in something like engineering and now with the economy I am paying for that.

If you can't make enough in trucking, maybe you need more education to get a better job and provide for your family.

I once thought I deserved things in life and these past few years have been a rude awakening for myself and many of the younger generation.

Jopper Thanks this.
  11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Yes sir. 11 straight days and never again. After about 4 years I realized that there's more to life than working and did something about it. I still do 10-12,000 miles a month it's just all roundtrip freight out of DFW. Works for me but I've got my eye on a few local jobs and hope to switch jobs in the near future.

gravelhauler and SheepDog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.