Drivers who have no house, apartment, car, or family: how much money have you saved?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PowerOfSolitude, May 19, 2012.

1. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I am working now while I am still healthy and energetic. Once I get old and lazy I hope to be retired by then.

SheepDog, Dna Mach and Onetruckpony Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Buy land, best investment you can make. Remember, God ain't making any more.

NewNashGuy and SheepDog Thank this.
  4. slomocopshow

slomocopshow <b>MS GA RED</b>

Apr 25, 2012
    We thought about instead of going completely without a house that we may look into buying a log cabin and renting it out to vacationers while we're OTR. Then, we'd have a place to hang our hat if need be, or we could black-out the calendar dates that were special to us and stay there. We've stayed at many rental cabins over the years and have loved it. Is anyone else involved in the vacation rental business with their primary residence?

Ellie

5. reffahead

reffahead Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Georgia
    I suggest if you are going to be on the road most of the year, room with family or a friend at home.

I wouldn't even own a car, just try to "rent" one from someone. For the 5 weeks or so while out training, I was able to survive on 400 while more or less penny pinching. It was rough the first two weeks but got slightly more bearable and you'll miss your bed, bathroom, etc.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Buy cemetery plots. No taxes or insurance and somebody else maintains them for free . And don't anybody say people are dying to get them.
    :biggrin_25513:

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sounds to me like your company gives you too much free time on your hands,lol.I know what you mean though.When im sitting I never get bored.Heck I could be sitting in the middle of a corn field and be perfectly content with my laptop and dvds,lol.

SheepDog and NewNashGuy Thank this.
  8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    there is a trucking job that appeals to everyone that wants to drive a truck. I dread even going thru DFW so I wouldnt like that job no matter how much hometime there was. If I could just watch my red sox in Liberal Ks I could stay out till OCT

SheepDog Thanks this.
  9. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Young, single , making good money..ahh those were the days..

Between friends, girlfriends, family, and the truck a.place to stay is always not far off.

Banking the money, buying things cash.

Did Mention the girlfriends didn't I ;)

10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Agreed! I live about 50 miles east of the DFW metro and only have to go into Garland to load on Monday mornings. Grew up in Dallas and there is no flipping way I would drive a truck around there everyday. Same with Chicago, Atlanta, So Cal and several other places. Never figured out the appeal of a 12 hour day, followed by a commute to home where you shower and sleep. Maybe for an increase in pay but more times than not it's less than you can make on the road.

nicholas_jordan Thanks this.
  11. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    My hat is off to anyone that lives in a truck. I couldn't do it. After my 5 nights in my truck I need those 2 days and nights at home to decompress and maintain my sanity.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.