driveway culvert width? Highway tractor + 53' trailer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Apr 24, 2017.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm looking at putting a driveway into a small parcel of land I have so I can park my truck and trailers. I'm thinking 30' wide culvert ought to be plenty wide enough but curious what some of you think? I pull a 53' trailer with slider tandems. I staked it and looked at it. I might have to swing out a little if I'm turning from the right into it.

Turning from the left should be A-OK which is probably the direction I'll be coming in from most times. What width do some of you guys have? This is off of a 2 lane county road standard width around this area. Two trucks have no problems passing each other going opposite directions but there's not much shoulder at all.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    Depends on how wide the road is. On my rural road, 30ft is not enough. Have to put front wheels into the ditch on the other side to get it backed in and pulled out. This was on a 40ft end dump. Truck was 230" WB. On a true 2 lane road, may be just enough. Bigger is better if you can...

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    38.5' is the minimum road width for a 48' truck to make a U-turn. It would be less for a 90 degree turn (especially if you could swing into the oncoming lane), but I'd want some cushion on each side too.

7-4.png

stwik, rabbiporkchop, x1Heavy and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Since they pick up the tab I just had the town install a culvert on my property last fall and went 40' just to be safe. The lower half of the driveway itself is about 40' as well. I am still in the clearing stages on the property but ill probably keep it that wide.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    rollin coal and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    My culvert isn't near 30' and I get my loaded car hauler stinger in no problem. But I angled my pad so it isn't a 90 degree. The road I live on is angled also to help. Every situation is different. I could put a 53 in easier I think. Not pulled a 53 with a road tractor in a few years. Guy down the road doesn't have 30' wide and he has standard issue Pete 387 with 53 he puts in it. Not sure how he does it as he seems to be home before me.

Lepton1 and rollin coal Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'll be pulling in at 90* to the road. I look at it and 30' looks doable but 40' seems a lot better. Around here the county picks up the culvert and installs it for no charge but I have to pay for the culvert and get it locally. Now I'm wondering if I should just get galvanized steel or go with the reinforced concrete. That will most likely be a price thing surely galvanized is much cheaper. It's probably not going to be more than 15" in diameter so galvanized should be fine.

crb Thanks this.
  8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I am buying a place this week and it is off a two lane(barely) dirt road. I am going to put in a 50' of culvert at 18". The weight is what damages culverts. I will be going over empty so galvanized should be fine. I will have quite a bit of overfill too.

DDlighttruck, rollin coal and SAR Thank this.
  9. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I'm sure at some point I'll have to replace my culvert. I'm not sure what type or rating it is. I'm 43k empty and just under 80k loaded.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  10. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    40' would be my choice. Galvanized will be just fine. I have a 24"plastic the county installed years ago and I have well used it and never had any sinking spots. It's all about the guy running the hoe and how they fill around.

rollin coal and SAR Thank this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    wrong thread

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.