Driving a pretty truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Curly88, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Curly88

Curly88 Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Rexford Mt
    After driving sloped nose trucks for 3 years I recently got into a shiny green Pete 389 with a full sleeper behind it. My question is any of you guys that got into a hood truck or decked out truck notice a difference in treatment from Dot, other drivers, security guards etc. Maybe it's just me but it seems almost like the dot looks at me harder, I get more respect on the road from fellow drivers and a lot of looks in truckstop. It's a little tough backing in a few spots but I love that hood! Lol. One thing I've had to completely change was my parking habits, seems that nose sticks out just far enough for every body to touch it, several times I've had to help someone back in because they almost took the hood off. Lol maybe I'm a little to proud to be driving this truck but it is fun!

blade, rank, Tall Mike and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    when you go from all wages to all gauges. then respect is all you have left.

blade, 417bigK, stwik and 13 others Thank this.
  4. fatmike02

fatmike02 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I own a beautiful 379 peterbilt dump truck. When dot is along side of the road pulling random trucks over, they just watch me go by. They only wave over the filthy rust buckets around here. They see a clean nice truck and figure that the guy maintains his truck. Why waste the time. Get the unmaintained junkers. I know it’s probably different for you over the road guys but I’m a local hauler that doesnt get harassed by dot based on appearance

5. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    Congratulations on the hood. I hope one day to get one

Curly88 Thanks this.
  6. Curly88

Curly88 Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Rexford Mt
    I should maybe add that I don't own it, just a driver for now.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i stand corrected.

8. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I like to park my cascadia next to them at the truck stop. I backin next to a long hood and keep going another 3 feet. They are good protection from a wayward swifty.

SteveScott, Brickwall, stwik and 18 others Thank this.
  9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I get the same attention as I did with my old truck. Get the general look over. Weight looks good. No easy to spot dead giveaways that something on the equipment isn't right. Green light. Average 1 inspection whether it be level 3 or 1 per year or so. Hell, the last one was a level 1, he spent 15 minutes on it. Didn't even open the hood. Did the lights thing, listened for air leaks, saw I have all disc brakes. The inspection was maybe 5 minutes. We chatted for 5 minutes. And he filled out the computer stuff for 5 minutes. It took him maybe 30 seconds to look at my elog. If he even looked (I emailed it).
    Easy. Peasy.

Opendeck, Curly88 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought you said you drove a pretty truck?

I think those flat nose Petes look like a pretty truck that ran into a wall.

TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Details, friend...why are you holding back the details? What engine, tranny and rears? Is she governed? Does she pull? Does she give new meaning to 'putting the hammer down?" When you put the hammer down, did it feel like the truck could change the rotation of earth? Have you shown up on @wore out radar? Sounds like you have discovered "Pride in that Ride." Cue the music...

stwik, sawmill, Feedman and 12 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.