Driving and the Army Reserve

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gself, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gself

gself Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2006
    My wife is considering a career change and is looking at driver training at our local community college. However, she is in the Army Reserve and is concerned about making drill weekends and the 2-week summer camp. I cannot seem to find any information from the various company sites about supporting Reservists. Does anyone in this forum know if companies will permit a schedule that would require a 3-day weekend every month (her drills normally start at noon on Friday and run through Sunday) plus a 2-week break every summer for Reserve duty? Thanks for any help you can offer.

--George

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. overburden

overburden Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2006
    They are required by Federal law to allow her to attend to her monthly and yearly reserve duties. If she gets hired, once they know she is in the reserves, is the question. They have to allow her to attend, and if they make it difficult for her, she just has to let her command know and they will put her in touch with the right people to talk to them (the company).

4. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    my company Central Refrigerated, guarantees hometime giving it is 9 days in advance.

If she goes home only on reserve time she will get 4 days, as 4 weeks out 4 days off.

For the 2 week a year, she would most likely have to leave truck at the terminal and vacate it. as over 4 days off you have to leave truck at the terminal.

But ####, a year in a truck and you get a new one.

K

5. gself

gself Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. --George

6. Fretless

Fretless Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Appleton, WI
    George..

I'm a reservist and I just finished a search for a new company. Know that there's the way things are supposed to be, and there's the way things are.

Things don't always happen just because federal regulations mandate them to be so...drivers get run too long, out of hours, overweight, etc. I went for a smaller company with about 70 trucks because they had all the big company perks, new trucks, pre-pass, satellite commo, but They don't have such a huge freight base that they can't route me short on weeks before drills or AT. I was worried that even though the bigger company intended to get me home, they couldn't deliver because of load pre-planning and that stuff.

Some of the big companies I talked to were very supportive of military people, but I just got a better feeling that I was going to be home for drills with the smaller company.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    What is being overlooked here and I dealt with this for several years. Say you have a muta 5 drill. Friday night till Sunday evening. You are scheduled to get in, but something came up and you could not get in, layover, shipper/ rec etc. Now depending on your unit they could put out a warrant for your arrest. This is the reserves/guards. There are some ate up units out there. Now you have to make this drill up. Also you are taking away your hometime. You are in for drill and you have to roll when it is over. Also watch your retirement points. I had 24 years on my LES. 4 active, 16 reserve/ guard , 4 IRR. When I was do to retire they said oh back 16 years ago you did not have a good year for points to retire. I was short 1 weekend to have a good retirement year. Remedy? Re-up for another year and hope you are not late by being in a truck or missing a drill somewhere.:biggrin_25516:

8. PFM

PFM Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Also have your wife look at running local/LTL or a dedicated run. Have her give a copy of her drill schedule to dispatch - your employer is supposed to be informed of your schedule, anyway. I drove for years with no major problems other than the occasional traffic, weather, shipper/receiver etc. causing me to miss a drill day on time. Most units will allow you to make up the time.

9. Dennis in SE PA

Dennis in SE PA Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Southeast, PA
    Roehl is big on military and ex military. I got out 30 years ago and am in their Honor program. Yes, I am an old dog that likes to learn new tricks! :) I was in Marshfield, WI - their home terminal. A very nice place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.