Driving for Ryder vs Driving for FedEX Ground

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Bryan73, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Bryan73

Bryan73 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2018
    I am needing some insight from anyone who's driven for either of these companies. I cant seem to find any info on Ryder here on this site.

Been OTR since 2010 and have decided to go day cab, would actually like to be home more often, I have pending offers from both Ryder and FedEx and trying to decide which is the best to take. Both are paying the same amount per hour, but FedEx seems to be a more "contractor" position and more hours while Ryder seems to work a total of 45 hrs per week but better medical benefits.

Any drivers out there can help me sort this out? Much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doublewiggle32

Doublewiggle32 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I work for ground, I really liked it until about a year ago. They added 65mph speed limiters (not all contractors limited their trucks) and inside/outside facing cameras. Also every month they make you take quizzes on driving related stuff, feels like elementary school...

It's still not too bad. It really depends on who your contractor is, some are great some are bad.

4. Bryan73

Bryan73 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2018

Mine would be out of Charlotte, NC, the cameras I am used to by now, but I was unaware of quizzes. Thank you for the info!

5. Doublewiggle32

Doublewiggle32 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yup! You take the quizzes on your phone takes like 15mins a month. So not a huge deal, but they are the dumbest quizzes you'll ever see... like last month was one about "the dangers of eating and driving" lol.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    That's extra safety stuff that DOT makes them do. I don't know how it all works. But once there are so many accidents, etc., they make you do more and more stuff to prove your a safety conscious carrier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.