Driving in big cities, is it mandatory?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zonno, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I’m probably going to catch a lot of flack for this, but are there any otr companies where drivers don’t have to deliver in big cities much? As a single person with no children, I don’t mind the thought of being out on the road, but the thought of driving a loaded tractor trailer in a city is pretty much the main reason why I don’t go over the road. I don’t even like driving a 4-wheel vehicle in them.

I get there’s always going to be traffic even in smaller towns; I’m talking about the big cities such as New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Las Vegas, ect.

PS, I’m not talking about driving through them (though that’s bad enough), I’m talking about having to find my destination that’s hidden somewhere deep in those big cities.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Go west young man!
    You WILL have to deliver in a big city and drive through them but there is more open road our west than east of the river.

4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    A right turn is a right turn in cowtown is the same as a right turn in the Bronx. You are occupying a space, its yours, in the cities, you take your time and the space to do what you need to do. Get in, get out go on to better places.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are companies that don't run in certain areas like say the northeast. Many advertise the areas they run, or don't run in. Do your homework, ask a lot of questions and you'll be ok.
    I can understand not wanting to go the NYC, but Las Vegas? Some easy places to get to there.

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Yeah as a rule, anywhere that was building cities in the 18th century are a lot tighter than those who weren't. If George Washington slept there.. you're in for some fun

bzinger, 91B20H8, '88K100 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    Ive been driving for 5 months, I can only speak for PAMT but in that time I haven't delivered too many times directly inside a big city . More often than not I might have to drive through them but deliveries usually are in suburban areas somewhat close to large city or a district not exactly in the middle of the city.

Sometimes it's unavoidable shipper/receiver might happen to be located directly inside major city . The worst I had it was picking up a load in Cicero IL which is right next to Chicago and has tiny streets and tight turns everywhere that was a nightmare. Then the place was scrap metal yard with almost no room for backing maneuvers

I delivered at a place in Oklahoma which was in the middle of a neighborhood that had almost nothing but no trucks allowed streets. I had to go to a truck stop after using 3 gps and they all kept leading me to unaccessible streets. Had to call shipper and dispatch to get step by step direction on how to get there basically only one way in and out . And that neighborhood was right next to cramped downtown area .

bzinger and Just passing by Thank this.
  8. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    I've been on I95 through NYC a few times but never had to stop inside of it . I actually want to go out West to California and Nevada but my company usually don't send solo drivers all the way out there

I've been through atlanta several times but mostly pick up and deliver in a city right next to it . Horrible traffic I don't like going there .

Zonno Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Unfortunately the job of trucking consists of a lot more than just driving forward on the Interstate.

JonJon78, bzinger, JolliRoger and 5 others Thank this.
  10. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    You're not going to avoid congested areas with tight turns or backing in small or medium towns either. Also , it's going to be difficult to avoid large metropolitan areas. They are everywhere. Honestly, if you are that apprehensive about it, maybe driving a truck is not your best line of work to consider.

firemedic2816, Zonno and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You still living in Florida?
    Try tankers; maybe Indian River Transport in Winterhaven. Coast to coast OTR.
    I pulled tankers and don't recall ever making a city delivery.
    Click ---> Equipment
    Indian River Transport Co. is the premier liquid bulk food grade tank carrier.
    • Indian River Transport runs a late model tractor fleet consisting of 600 Peterbilt tractors.
    • All trucks are furnished with refrigerators and premier interior packages, over 70-inch sleepers.
    • All tractors are assigned and are less than 36 months old.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.