Driving in the north.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Octane Gypsy, Sep 5, 2019.

1. PIKARUX

PIKARUX Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2019
    I recommend OP watch the Tv series Ice road Truckers and maybe can see a better view on how is to drive up there.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh god no.

I think Ice Road Truckers tried too hard, put in too much hollywood.

The only two scenes worth a #### were those of Antigun Pass, Beaverslide etc (18% straight down to a bridge not much wider than your tires then another similar straight up.) And one I am still laughing at out loud. We had one hook to his trailer that sat for a while. Pulled 40 feet onto a state scale or something similar and got fined.

Trucker then ranted and raved that the officer handing fine should have gotten laid and not be so uptight that far out in the woods.

And the rest of it was essentially to see what it will take to break a big truck. With one big exception, Darrell Ward. His teachings were spot on for the most part and the use of cables and straps to the drives as capstans vs trees to get unstuck were quite the education. He was flying home some years ago on a private plane and they pranged the thing on the shoulder of I-90. Killing both. I thought it was fitting. If you are going to go go in a beautiful place so your detention time will not be as hard.

4. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    You are right , i experienced this malfunction many times in my 2008 and 2010 Volvo also over past 12 years, won't reach the regen temperature if outdoor temperature drops below -20s -30s. The diesel fuel injected by 7th injector won't ignite and blows it out in white smoke, had to stop and do parked regen. I still drive a 2010 , i understand in newer models they installed a glowing plug, but they have worse frozen DEF handicap; during last winter cold snap i seen over 100 trucks on the shoulder in -20s from Indianapolis to Toronto, most with frozen DEF fluid ,even at the pumps was frozen.
    I experienced an arctic flow, on hwy 2 driving towards Edmonton , Monday morning december 14 2009 , funny with a load of furnaces from Tennessee but i almost froze in my truck . Edmonton was the coldest place on Earth, colder than North Pole.
    I left FlyingJ in Calgary that morning, was around -35 , strong north wind , north Red Deer the dash was showing -46 degrees Celsius and bag ,my belts snapped and motor start overheating and stopped, without belts to move the water pump.The rubber material in belts is losing elasticity , becomes crispy in low temp, i also lost tires in -30s, simply came off the rim.I had a cup of coffee still warm in my cup holder, in few min was solid frozen rock .

Interesting not4hire mentioned ..."My first piece of advice, and one that will save your life... ALWAYS have a backup method for getting into your truck, eg.,"
    Because after my motor stopped, i had hard time opening the doors to get out, had to push bang them hard once open won't close anymore, the entire cab, doors frame shrank maybe more than half inch or more, we left them open just secured in tow.

x1Heavy and uncleal13 Thank this.
  5. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Carrying a spare GOOD (not takeoffs) set of belts along with the tools and knowledge to quickly install them is a good idea. Serpentine belts can be confusing to install if you don't remember the routing(take pictures).
    An alternate safe source of heat should be mandatory for anyone in a Canadian winter, as well as 2 or 3 extra blankets in the bunk and twice as many winter clothes as you think you need. a minimum of 3 days food and water should also be in the truck and a way to heat it(I suggest a sterno stove and surplus mess kit).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    If you want to learn how to destroy your truck in 3 easy lessons then by all means watch and learn from those clowns.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    582EE0BF-66B4-4AFB-885D-41D8DC1CC674.jpeg

Messily -25F with the sun out........:)

D.Tibbitt and not4hire Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    1600921A-F521-40BC-8252-9526E34BA146.jpeg

PC. Western Star FB page......

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Have you spent time north of the 50th/51st parallels? Winter changes the further north you go, and jumping into it head-first by going North of 60 could, as many others have pointed out here already, take your life very easily.

Self-sufficiency is a must. You can't buy meals every day up there, food and water in the truck for a few weeks is a must (I always like having a bunch of cans of soup/chili, even cold will give your body fuel). Tools, fluids and parts are required, because the cold always ####s stuff up and you'll have to fix it if you don't want to die. You don't have to be able to swap a head, but brakes, belts, suspension and tires you should know basic repairs.

Edit: Note: The furthest north I've been is up near Gillam, MB, and I haven't ever seen that area in the brutal part of winter. I'm just giving advice on driving around rural Manitoba in February and from what I've been told by experienced hands over the years.

The more time I spend in the cold, the more I realize I don't like it. I've lived in Winnipeg almost my entire life (Anola when I was very young) and prefer spring, summer and fall to winter. It's a nice break to the heat sometimes, but I'll always take a trip south when it's offered to me when it's -35C at home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.