Driving instructor needed please help!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kristenemega, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kristenemega

Kristenemega Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Salt lake city, Utah
    My husband and I are looking for someone to teach us how to drive a Class C Motorcoach. It will be a diesel truck and we will be pulling a trailer that you drive a car up into. We do not have the motor coach yet it is still being built so we would need someone with a truck to Drive. We do not have to have our CDL license to drive this vehicle however we would just like to have some experience under our belts so that we feel more comfortable. We would be willing to pay for the instruction. Does anyone know of how to find a way to do this. Or someone who teaches privately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A motor coach is not like driving a semi truck.

It is literally just like driving a house. The weight and your engine plus the potential for airbrakes etc would need a little teaching.

Your trailer with a car on it will be the worst part of driving around, you will understand that you cannot back up something like that very well. It's very short compared to your long motor home. So generally you will be getting into places you can usually pull straight through.

It's a journey in life, both of you will learn by doing. It is good you ask for someone to teach you what is possible with those kinds of vehicles. But they are not semi trucks. It is again very closer to driving a house, for that is what they are on wheels.

You did not give a location so that it will be somewhat difficult for anyone who would like to help to understand what is possible without alot of back and forth on PM's which may or may not be possible right away.

4. Kristenemega

Mar 8, 2018
    Salt lake city, Utah
    Thank you for all that information I do understand what you're saying now. We are in Salt Lake City Utah are motor coaches being built in Idaho Mountain Home. So do you think it is just the experience of getting in and driving it little by little until we get used to it? The place that we're getting it from said they will spend two days with us until we are comfortable with it. I just did not know if that would leave us enough time to be sure of ourselves. If I can continue to glean information from experience people such as yourself I think I will feel better when it is time to actually go through the training on it. I have already driven it once and it was quite a bit to handle but not impossible. I did not feel like I could not do it. Thank you again for the information. Have a great day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    If they are going to train you for two days until your comfortable with the vehicle then you should be ok. Here are some questions that you should definitely ask the person training you such as bridge height, making turns with the vehicle, stopping distance, mirror usage, and backing. Also if they can explain and show you how to pre-trip the vehicle that would be very beneficial. I’m betting the training is going to be very thorough.

Brickwall, x1Heavy and Kristenemega Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you need help. I live in salt lake.

austinmike, 91B20H8, Gunner75 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Look who's going on vacation..send postcards:D

91B20H8 and Gunner75 Thank this.
  8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Here ya go, @snowwy seems like a solid knowledgeable individual, I'd bet he would be a good one to teach you

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    With something like that its going to come down to time in the seat,.. a little bit of trial and error and doing your best to change your driving habits to take into account the size of what you are driving.

Its the unknown that we fear the most. I say jump in with both feet and just do it. Buy a commercial truckers GPS. Set the height, and full length with trailer and your gross weight into the GPS,.. and for the most part,.. it should help keep you out of harms way. The rest is just common sense.

A year from now you guys will feel like pro's.

Hurst

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Get snowwy to show you blind side backing in the rain with headlights shining in your mirrors, handling a blown tire, emptying the sewage tank and avoiding rollovers :)

Justrucking2, Hurst and austinmike Thank this.
  11. Kristenemega

Mar 8, 2018
    Salt lake city, Utah
    Well that's a generous offer. Do you have a truck that you could give us some pointers on like using a jake brake and backing up a trailer and using a 16 speed automatic Allison Transmission? These are some of the things that we're facing. Also, some suggestions were handling a blown tire, avoiding a rollover and practice parking. what do you think?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.