driving laws

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by fudge33, Feb 6, 2008.

1. fudge33

fudge33 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2008
    detroit michigan
    Hello I drive from detroit mi to chicago il every day through the snow belt, i.e kalamazoo and benton harbor anyway last week I turned around and started heading back home cause the roads were ice and it was snowing "bad" I always head there with an empty and back loaded so I felt road conditions were bad and turned around now the company I work for is telling me to drive slow and if I do it again im fired is there any law or something that says I have the right to turn around due to road conditions and where can I find it so I can cram it down there throats also forgot to mention im a local driver and do not get reimbursed for hotels if I have to get one thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    No laws like that that I'm aware of, but you were right to do what you did. If the roads were too bad for you to feel safe enough to continue, then I don't blame you for turning around. Maybe you should have called dispatch first and let them know what was going on, but other than that...

4. fudge33

fudge33 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2008
    detroit michigan
    I did there the ones that told me to drive slow also every day im flirting with the 11 hr rule and you think theyll pay the fine hell no as long as the mail keeps moving

5. 1happywoman

1happywoman Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    §392.14 Hazardous conditions; extreme caution.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Extreme caution in the operation of a commercial motor vehicle shall be exercised when hazardous conditions, such as those caused by snow, ice, sleet, fog, mist, rain, dust, or smoke, adversely affect visibility or traction. Speed shall be reduced when such conditions exist. If conditions become sufficiently dangerous, the operation of the commercial motor vehicle shall be discontinued and shall not be resumed until the commercial motor vehicle can be safely operated. Whenever compliance with the foregoing provisions of this rule increases hazard to passengers, the commercial motor vehicle may be operated to the nearest point at which the safety of passengers is assured.

Comment - not sure legally where you stand if you turn around and go back as opposed to stopping if the weather is bad. The above is from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations.

6. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Call your SAFETY DEPARTMENT and ask them what the guidelines are for this type of situation.

As far as LAWS, Iam not familier with any, however you are responsible for that vehicle that you are driving and should have the final say.

7. Dannyboi

Dannyboi Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2007
    clovis,ca
    Sounds like you should move along to a company that respects its drivers a little more.

8. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    This is a correct statement

From a retired federal DOT official

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The original post wasn't clear as to whether he had already driven into hazardous conditions or heard they were dangerous ahead or how far he had gone . If he was in hazardous conditions already he should have parked at the first safe available place .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.