Driving skills evaluation?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by buck bundy, Jun 13, 2009.

1. buck bundy

buck bundy Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    gurnee, il
    I'm going to orientation soon & was not sure what thet want us to do to check our skills. Do they check staight backing, 45 deg backing to a dock or are there other tests. Any answers would be great. Thank you.:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shadowed

Shadowed Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am assuming you are just out of driving school. If so it will probably be pre trip, basic driving skills and a straight and 45 back.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    For testing students, it's more or less a "lacking skills" test.

They want to know your weak areas, and pass them on to your trainer for additional work on those areas.

Very few, if any, students fail a driving evaluation.

5. Shadowed

Shadowed Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    I do remember when I took it three and a half years ago with them that they told us that if at anytime the tester / instructer has to reach over grab the wheel and take control of the vehicle your done. But yeah I have seen some pretty scary drivers pass and get handed off to trainers.

6. buck bundy

May 10, 2009
    gurnee, il
    Thank you guys. I'm still at school. I've been doing my skills & been on the road in Chicago and have not scared anyone yet.:biggrin_255: I have my pre trip test this week. Thanks again. Any other info would be great.

7. joeduno

joeduno Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm in EVO III, so I can tell you the driving tests are simple. Don't kill anyone, or hit anything and you'll be fine. During orentation you don't even back up, or do a pre trip. When you test out of EVO II thats when you do your backing and your pre trip. It was raining when I tested out, so I just verbally "walked" around the truck and told the instructor what I would check, and why. It doesn't have to be nearly as exact as with the state of Illinois.

Then we went for a road test which consisted of about 5 turns, and some expressway driving. Then we went back to the yard, and I had to back using a 45 degree setup that Roehl uses. I lucked out and someone parked a trailer where in the spot where you are supposed to back into, so my tester just had me back into a spot about 3 trailers wide.

Any questions let me know, I'll do the best I can to answer them. What school you going to?

ps. Sorry about the spelling, I'm a horrible speller, and dead tired, so no spell check was used.

BIGcountrySC Thanks this.
  8. buck bundy

May 10, 2009
    gurnee, il
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure your spellling can not be as bad as mine. I'm good with the 45 deg. Have never parrel parked. It is not part of the IL test so it is not part of what we learn. I'm going to Progressive. Were did you go to school. Since you are in EVO III you are in your own truck. How is the truck & how are the miles.

9. ETCH5858

ETCH5858 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2009
    you don't paralel park with roehl

10. BIGcountrySC

BIGcountrySC Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    I am going to orientation July 6th in Atlanta. I will keep in touch also as I progress. What division are u in? I am in school at Sage in NC. Thanks!

11. joeduno

joeduno Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Plainfield, IL
    I went with Eagle Training out in Lake in the Hills. Yes, I'm in my own truck, if you want to know about that, just read my post from last week, subject was Roehl Equipment.

As for miles, I'm doing pretty good. I'd average 500 per day, when i'm running, I've sat for both weekends I've been out. I'm at the Marshfield terminal now, and after talking with some guys, they feel that the neewbies get run pretty hard just to make sure you can handle the pressure, which I find to be very little of.

Good luck with your training, it will go by fast. I started CDL school in Feburary graduated in March, and it's all ready June, it seams like just yesterday I was freezing my butt off in the yard at school.

Time for bed, then hopefully one more load then off to my own bed at home..... key word....hopefully ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.