Driving the big-rigs in snow and ice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nwcountry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The thing to do tho is look for a co that does not route you. Nothing worse than a back seat driver....:biggrin_25516: Or a co that tells you to stop here and buy 50 gallons of fuel....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nwcountry

nwcountry hot-flash

Sep 11, 2009
    Winchester Oregon
    Oh Lord, no, I would not like that:biggrin_25513: Do you know companies that do that? I would love to have the names so I can avoid them.

4. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yeah I know, thats why im trying to figure out if I wanna go otr in the winter just to keep my experience recent and come back to the local in the summer. But I have to find a company willing to let me do that. Was checking out Van Wyk in Iowa that have 5 to 6 days out and weekends off dont know much about em though.

5. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The instructions are to go pick this up at 7 am at point A. Take it to point B at 1300 2 days later....:biggrin_2559:

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I've gotten chaining down to a sceince, I can chain up a set of single on my outers in about 12 minutes and be back on the road. Considering that when I have to put chains on, I'm running in road conditions where even if those roads were dry I would only be doing 50 mph anyhow, so I'm not losing that much time.

I usually prefer Warp 1 or 2, sometimes I get up to warp 4 but then my truck get's antsy.

They had snow in Colo., Wyo, Montana, NM, UT, ID all in this past week.

A lot of states are getting to this point, I carry 3 set's of singles on my truck year round. Two set's for my drives, one set incase I need a drag or incase I need a spare for my drives.

Wow, you really are limiting yourself by cutting out most of the Western US.

Wrong, Colorado requires you to carry chains if your travelling through the state from Sept. 1 thru. May 15th. This includes, all federal interstate highways (I-70 (there are chainup areas on the eastern plains), I-25, and I-76), all state or US roads (US 287 (FYI there is a chain up area on 287 So. of Lamar, Limon, and Springfield), US 50, US285, US40, US160, US550), as well as all roads within the state. OOIDA and others keep getting this wrong and telling drivers they only need chains on I-70. The two statements contradict each other, but according to CSP and the yellow highway signs, you need to carry them on all highways in Colorado from Sept. 1 til May 31.

Colorado chain law applies to every state highway, federal highway and interstate throughout the state. When the chain law is in effect, drivers will see signs along the roadway indicating which vehicles should chain-up. In some areas of the state, lighted variable message signs will also alert drivers of the chain-up information.

Drivers of commercial vehicles must carry chains for their vehicles from September 1 through May 31 on Interstate 70 from MP 163 to MP 259 only. Failure to carry chains on this portion of highway may result in an inspection violation and the driver can be fined $50 plus a surcharge.

7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I never said you were required only to carry chains just on 70......nice cherry pick......

The reasons for carrying chains on 70 from Sept 1- May 31 between mm 163-259 are terrain and dynamic weather conditions...

I have ran 25 with it snowing from Trinidad all the way to Boulder with it snowing and never had to chain up.....

That same weather would either close the 70 down or require a chain-up......

Next time, either include the complete quote with the links or don't comment all.....

Thank you....

8. EdVolvo

EdVolvo Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Saint Petersburg
    oregongrown

Read all tread, very usefull for beginner.
    My opinion - carefull driving and distance. But no fear, remember Cheek brings success.

Wish you lucky and respect to you as womenfahrer from russia. Be brave! And on distance. sorry my english

9. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I don't consider it limiting myself. Why lose a week being snowed in and tossing chains and driving 35 mph? How much will I make doing that?

10. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    Iam with you here, i love out west and if it was up to me i would drive in the south all winter if i could. More money by not loseing time being snowed in. But, i find myself in the snow all winter anyways, you get use to it. Chaining does not kill that much time, when the roads close, that will cost you a chunk of money. Last winter i drove in the snow at some point everyday in December for 23 straight days, sometimes 450 miles a day. I'll take Cali to Texas runs all winter if i could.:biggrin_25521:

11. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I run in the snow and ice all the time. I just don't chain up. If it is that bad I shut it down till I can run. 10 hours down I get my time back. Creeping along 25-35 mph and factoring in chaining up is just burning my time and getting me no where. A couple winters ago I ran from columbus down to cinci on 71. It was terrible. Black ice and blowing snow in places. Big trucks in the median; cars slid off everywhere. Police shutting the road down, but not letting big trucks get off at exits, because they were sliding off the ramps. I cruised along about 35 and that was the longest 100 miles I ever drove. It wore me out.

I kept creeping along till I could find a place to pull off. That was a rest area down in KY. I run all over. Been stranded up in dubuqe IA before. MN, all kind of places. I run till I need to shut down, but if it is time to chain then for me it is time to park.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.