Driving the truck during time off

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zoltan1a, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I was given permission to drive the truck for supplies. But I did show driving, even on paper logs...

I'm not smart enough to cheat well. Hehehehee

Mikeeee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Most with a qualcomm are not allowed to use the trk for personal drive time unless you get it approved with your company.I did with my last company all the time.Even for hometime I used there trk for my personal vehical.They don't have a qualcomm either.When I did my reset on the road it was either in Ok or TX and took the trk everywhere.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have taken mine to Kennedy space center with approval.

5. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    If the company doesn't allow personal use, plan your shopping along your route. Or look ahead if you know your going to do a reset try to plan it so you are within walking distance or public transit accessible.

6. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I want to make the best of those resets if I have a chance to see new places

7. oldmack

oldmack Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    philadelphia, pa
    We use qualcomm paperless logs but have an off duty driving option if you want to use the truck for personal use as long as you follow the companies usage policies.

8. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    It's really a matter of who your dispatcher is. My dispatcher, I can do whatever, as long as I drop/pu on time, stay relatively close to the route suggestion, and follow the fuel suggestion. The dispatcher is the one that blows the whistle. If you run hard, and efficiently, why would they care?

On the other hand, I know of dispatchers that will nickle and dime you to death over out of route miles. If you go to a company with electronic logs, you won't be able to move the truck if you're off duty, or it will automatically log you on duty. Anytime I know I need to shop, or do something in particular, I try and park close to wherever I need to be, especially during a 34.

I'd have problems with someone/a company telling me that I cannot go grocery shopping, or take care of responsibilities while being gone for a month at a time. 15 miles to walmart, or to post office is one thing. Going 75 miles out of route to a strip club is another.

Everett Thanks this.
  9. ecmcintosh

ecmcintosh Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Murray, KY
    Newbie question, if your company approved you going shopping, etc. ...I assume you would have to run your paper log to match the e-log?

10. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    We get a extra 45 miles of play time per 1000 miles as long as the Trailer is not attached.

11. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    Ok..playing devils advocate here and only because it's confusing or a gray area and I DON'T KNOW!

There is another thread on TTR that is claiming according to FMCSA if you are not "on duty", "under dispatch" or using the truck for "revenue"...You are not required to log ANYTHING.

So following that logic, if I deliver the product...run out of hours sitting in the dock...Haven't received dispatch and not being paid to drive...I can mosey on down to the truck stop for a shower and dinner?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.