Driving tips to help a Cat C15 to be better on fuel.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shawn2130, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    hello all, I've been a member since 2015 but this is my first post.

A previous employee at our company retired at Christmas and the boss gave the freightliner truck to me to drive all the time.

It’s a 2005 with a BXS twin turbo. It used to be at the factory 475 hp, 1,850 tq. The retired trucker had Cat boost the power to 550 hp, 1,850 tq a year ago (light duty power or something he said).

Right now I’m trying different ways to get the better mileage out of this truck.

I’m looking for some advice and driving tips to help improve this truck as it’s the most thirsty in the fleet compared to our older 3406B Cats and a 1998 Cat (not sure what engine it is). I drove a 330 Cummins M11 for 4 years before getting this truck.

I just had the truck tuned by a tuning company instead of Cat as I don’t like how they setup the programming.

The tuning guy had the egr and some other things turned off which is great, finally! No more engine lights coming on and reduced power. Cat won’t do this.

Now the truck has 575 hp and over 2,000 tq.

Man what a difference! This thing sure pulls hard!

I keep my foot out of the throttle as much as possible and limiting boost to 20-25 psi unless I need more.

The boost gauge maxes out at 55 psi and the needle smacks it when the pedal is all the way down.

I understand this truck and the way it’s set up (truck specs in sig) is not for the best on fuel, but it’s the one we use for 5 axles and B-trains.

The engine spins 1,500 rpms at 62 mph or 100 kph.

I’ve noticed the mpg improves a little when I drop the rpms a little more to 1,300 or 1,400 and speed down to 56 mph or 90 kph.

But, the retired trucker said before he retired, the engine must never be running at low rpms or I will blow it up.... only have it running between 1,600-1,800 rpms.

The retired guy never cared about fuel economy as he’s not paying for it but I do as I know my boss does care how much he’s spending on fuel.

Thanks for any info.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    1200 or less won't hurt the kitty 411 gears hurting your mileage Canadian setup drive 90 kmh easy on the throttle not much more you can do for fuel economy pulling heavy if you are going to be running legal wt like 80 or less and want to change rear ends try 370 or355 also low profile tires will help then you can run the kitty down to 1100 some people are going to 1000 seems a little bit low but 1100. 1200. Okay good luck

W903B and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I want to work for that company cuz I'd LOVE more HP in my rig.

Pretty nice of the boss to let employees tune up company owned rigs.

5. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    I Glide 47:
    I figured the Cat engines are pretty tough. I’m not sure where this guy got those ideas from that low rpms would blow it up.

He’s the one that chose this truck and my boss bought it for him I think 6 years ago.

All those years of wasted fuel while I did the same job as him with the m11 Cummins...

Snowwy:
    Yup, it’s pretty nice of the boss to let me have the truck tuned.

I got his permission and went ahead.

He knows I respect his equipment and I do all the wrenching on them.

For other employees, that may not work for them.

The boss accepted the truck being tuned because he’s tired of sending the truck to Cat everytime let’s say a VVA engine code pops up and cuts power in half. That’s pathetic.

All that crap has been turned off.

OldeSkool and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like it.

Keyword B trains and such. Load it down. It wants to be loaded.

It will kind of starve if you tried to run 85 mph down here in the states.

I aint never had a engine fail lugging down to 1200 or even lower. I am the lug king as it were, particularly with the detriots. I cannot be bothered to shift until about 20 rpm before she thinks about bucking.

If you had a huge engine which you do here, you don't need to use much foot to get work done. You actually will spend less time running upgrade instead of on hands and knees wound out in a low gear.

In short, hourly fuel burn. I remember taking my 350 cat at 80000 and a little more up a 3 mile pull 24% the speed was less than walking and took almost a hour to get up top and two to cool off. The fuel burn that hour was well over 30 gallons for three some miles. Leaving me with 20 some odd gallons to get out of Vermont and hunt fuel. If the company were bothered to have TWO tanks for fuel on that thing, I would not have had that problem that day.

To me fuel = life, especially in the winter. But also big horse means speed limit upgrade on any mountain where possible say 7% or less gradient that is common on our interstate system. Makes for a timely run. Literally make the mountains into flatland. They cease to be relevant.

But where they really get good is off road, logging, gas rigs and such. There are some hills out there that are pretty much in degrees of steepeness rather than percentage. I remember one that was around 60 degrees in slope not far from my home here in the hills. And that one was done when empty and barely got up top on that one. I don't think you can force a big truck on anything steeper without falling off and getting killed.

OldeSkool and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  7. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    X1heavy: our trucking business is a little slow in the winter so I haven’t had to use the trains yet with the new tune.

But I did haul some salt (vehicle cancer causing agents) in a tridem dump trailer.

The Cat pulled it like it was empty while grossing 116,000lbs. Never slowed on any little hills.

Soon we will be hauling logs on the b-train, should be fun!

x1Heavy and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If you've only been driving it a few months now you will find that in 6 to 8 weeks it will pick up 1 to 1.5 mpg as we transition back to summer fuel.. I pull tri axles through Ontario every single truck I've driven in last 20 years loses that much roughly in Canadian winters pulling 100,000 lbs

x1Heavy, Shawn2130 and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    In a discussion about poor fuel economy, let me be the first to ask: What is your actual fuel mileage?

Dan.S, magoo68, Hammer166 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    As has been stated already the lower rpms are where you need to run that engine for fuel economy. Just keep an eye on your pyro temperature gauge.
    If you cruise with the rpms at 1400-1500 or more your fuel economy will probably be 4.5 to 5 mpg. Especially if you jack rabbit drive.
    You might be able to get in the low to mid 6’s if you keep those rpms down and PET it! Pet it softly!!
    If you haul heavy and drive on hilly two lane roads with hard pulls you will probably do well to get 5.25 mpg.

DSK333, x1Heavy and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  11. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    Magoo: I look forward to the warmer temps! Lol! Be nice if it was here now.

Redforman: I have an app on my phone that allows me to keep track of each tank when I fill it up.

When I started driving it, the mpg was 3.3 mpg (Canadian) or 2.76 (us)

After driving it a little on the 550 tune and looking for the sweet spot, it got a little better.

After the tune and driving a little to work with it, it improved to 5.23 mpg imp, 4.36 us.

Blessedman: I’m hoping to get the kitty up to the 6 range if possible but likely may not happen but my boss is happy with whatever I can get out of it as long as it’s not 3.3 all the time. :)

RedForeman and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.